ways to heat up a house

Page 1 of 3

I have a 6000 sq ft house The main (5 burner) furnace is a York P2MPD14N08001C which probably heats up half of the house. The Pacard Bell blower fan is wired to the black lead (max speed). It is about 10 F outside and about 62 inside the downstairs of the house. The upstairs is nice and warm, but has its own independent furnace. The furnace seems to be working, but maybe inadequate for the size of the house. I have been thinking about installing a new furnace. Are there any inexpensive ways that I can heat up the house without replacing the furnace ? I have two electric heaters running during this unseasonable weather, which helps, but I was thinking of other ways. The one idea that I have been considering is changing the blower fan. If I were to install a blower fan with bigger blades, would that help move more heat from the furnace to the rest of the house? The blower motor is powered by 110V 50Hz. It is rated for 110-220 AC operation (European is 220 VAC 50Hz). If I fed it 220 VAC, would that cause problems? I still have to investigate if the control boards operate at this rating.

heat into home is tied to BTU output of furnace:(
How about a direct vent wall furnace of gas logs? assuming your existing furmnace is alreay a 90+
Whens the last time your furnaces were serviced? if this was never a problem before your furnace may need a tune up.
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:40:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

OP doesn't say where he is, but with 115 v 50 cycle I'd guess somewhere where it GENERALLY doesn't get so cold - and the house is inadequately insulated.
Definitely running the motor on 220 would not make it any better. The motor gets rewired" to run on 220 at the same speed and half the current. DO NOT simply connect the motor to 220 without changing the connections inside. or you WILL get extra heat - but only long enough to burn out the motor.( a matter of minutes)
The furnace and house was last inspected about 2 years ago, when I bought it. It seems as if the unit fires up, heats up, and shuts off for a little while (the exhaust vent cools down to a confortable touch). It then starts back up again ok. Is there a way to change the setting for how long this delay should be? The blower delay time is set to about 120 sec, the medium setting. I swapped the source1 control board for a Johnson Control pt #031-01140 model# G951ADB-1402 from another unit, but the same problem still exists. BTW, I also changed the filters.
Deodiaus wrote:

It is not time controlled, it is temperature controlled. Yes, it can be changed but I don't know anything about your unit or what the setting should be.

The problem may be limit switches or sensors, not the board.

Good first step.
Did the unit work OK in the past? Is the unit design what the present cold temperatures are? May pay you to get a pro check it out.

It should run continously until it reaches the thermostat set point, or it needs repair. Run your stove and oven.
ransley wrote:

Hi, But if the furnace is under-sized, it'll never reach the set temp.

True, but I thought he said it cycles on off
Deodiaus wrote:

Hi, Blower better be running on medium speed(not high). Hot air is easy to push than cold air. High speed is for cooling.

How much of a difference (in percentage) is it to push hot air rather than cold? BTW, what anyone know the difference in speeds between the 3 settings? I will try this, as it is just a 5 min matter of changing settings.

The blower is set where its at for a reason, just like its set at high on AC mode, you may feel less comfortable with a higher blower speed from breeze and just burn more electricity. From what little I know lower is better but the temp of the exchanger should not go above the design limit.
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:08:41 -0800 (PST), ransley

Running the blower faster will do the same as a bigger blower. Depending on the circumstances, it MIGHT get more heat to the cold part of the house. closing down a few air outlets in the "warm" part of the hose may help balance the airflow and get more heat to the cold end of the house. It may reduce the TEMPERATURE of the outlet air, but it will increase the volume, so it MIGHT get more heat into the house - particularly if the volume allowed into the warm part of the house is restricted.
In areas where it generally does not get too cold the airflow ballancing and duct sizing are sometimes not as well optimized as they could be - and if you have central air, and the hot time of the year requires more cooling than the cold time requires heat, the ducting may be optimized for cooling.
It's been unseasonably cold here the last little wile, with -4F or colder nights. Furnace ran 6 hous and 48 minutes today. 267.5 hours so far this season.
Deodiaus wrote:

If the furnace is cycling on and off, you are not getting the maximum heat out. You need to figure out why it is turning off before reaching the set temperature, and fix that. It could be as simple as replacing the filter.
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:34:53 -0800 (PST), Deodiaus

I can't tell if you want to get through the next 2 to 5 days or you want something for weeks on end.
You also don't say where you live or what makes the weather unseasonable. It's winter! Why shouldn't be cold? :)
I've had furnace problems myself. Ran out of oil once or more. Had a problem with the ignition reset twice.
For many parts of the country, and many parts of some other parts, whereever it's not very humid already, for short periods, a few days, the secibd quickest way to feel warmer is to boil water on the stove. Put on one small pot that will come to a boil quickly, and a big pot that can boil for hours or until you feel fine. (at 62. 62 is cold in the house, but outside I'm not cold until it's below 50. Go figure.)
Try not to run the flame after the water boils out. One pot turned black when I did this, although I think I cleaned it up.
The quickest way to feel warmer is to stop the bathtub and run the shower at full hot. The steam will fill the room and spread to the rest of the house. BE DARN Sure you don't let the water run over the tub, but I like to plug the tub because the water is still hot. I don't drain the water out until it's emitted all its heat to the house.
I've never had a problem with water condensing anywhere it's not meant to, except maybe cold windows, and it was no real problem there either.
Higher humidity is like being 4 to 6 degrees warmer, maybe more.

P&M

I want some of whatever you're smoking...Come on , stop bogarding it and pass it over here...LOL....
Buy a couple of Electric heaters...The cold snap is supposed to ease up in a few days and things will return to "normal".....

You're talking about steam and boiling water? Don't knock it till you've tried.

BTW, I missed it at first, but he said he already has two electric heaters. Plus they won't work as well as a hot shower or boiling water. They make so much heat, at high cost, and they have to run all the time or heat disburses till you can't tell the difference. Humidity will fill the house in an hour or two and then you can turn off the stove and it will still be humid for 5, 20, 20 hours. Houses are typically dry in the winter. To go from 10 to 30 percent up to 50 to 75 percent makes an enormous differnence.

I find exactly the opposite. I am always MUCH hotter in humid conditions than in dry even when the temperature is exactly the same. The same holds true in the winter. On a dry day 15 degrees isn't so bad but on a wet/humid day it's torture. Adding moisture to the air is not something I would ever do to "feel warmer".

That's not the opposite, that's what I'm saying. The OP is cold and he wants to be hotter.

15^ F? That would be outside, where one can't control the humidity. Where he is it's 10 outside and 62 inside.
15^ C? 61^ F? Humidity would make that torture? But much hotter too?
I added this in the post after the one you answered, " Houses are typically dry in the winter. To go from 10 to 30 percent up to 50 to 75 percent makes an enormous differnence. " For the better, I think, if it was 62^F in the house.

No, doofus, 15F. If you are outside in humid weather it's torture. If it's dry it's fine. Same thing inside (exactly what I said). I heat my house to 50F and I keep it dry as a bone. If I used a humidifier I'd be too cold. Humidity intensifies the temperature, so hot is hotter and cold is colder.