Wayne Dalton IDrive

I am thinking of buying the Torsion Spring model which will fit on Generic garage doors. Any experiences with the installation? Is it easy? Does it require torsion spring adjustments?
You will need to release the tension on the torsion shaft, remove the shaft and spring so you can install the drive unit over the shaft..
Any time your going to release or tighten one of these torsion springs, it is dangerous.. You need to follow the door installation instructions..
I you didn't install the door yourself, you may want to get assistance from someone who has..
I haven't installed a Wayne Dalton drive yet, plan to when I can afford one.. However I just finished installing my own door and torsion spring system.. It's scary as hell, as you get more and more torsion on the shaft.. I had to release the torsion once (due to a change in the installation) and that was just as scary..
I would expect that the Wayne Dalton units would have some warnings and safety instructions included.. Be sure to look for them and proceed with caution.
--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve

shaft
Not at all! It is a clamshell design and you do not have to remove the shaft or remove the tension on the spring. It assembles over the shaft without removing the shaft or spring.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email

from
shaft..
and
Since most garage doors don't have an outlet directly above the door, I'm assuming the iDrive would require a power cord be run across the ceiling to the outlet that's there for the "older" garage door openers?

it

springs,
afford
spring
installation)
and
with
You can easily put an outlet above the door using Wiremold or other raceway products.

springs,
afford
spring
installation)
and
with
Thanks, Frank....maybe Wiremold is the way to go. The room above the garage is finished, preventing access from above the garage, so that sounds like the only alternative.

the
the
shaft
instructions..
assistance
Cheers, and good luck. Let me know how you like their opener. I'm thinking of getting one when mine fails.
Frank

the
warnings
proceed
If WD does the install they charge about $40 for a raceway if needed.

remove
shaft..
remove
the
torsion
I can

torsion
torsion on the

warnings
proceed
The Torsion spring IDrive were removed from the market for a while and then came back on the market. Call your WD dealer to make sure all issues are resolved. Had the non torsion spring version installed on a WD door and it is very nice except buzzers announcing that it will be doing something are too quiet in my opinion and the free keypad is flimsy.

I just learnt that there is no need for any torsion spring removal or adjustments. The opener clamps itself on the rod and is not a sliding into kind of installation.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ramdas Murali) wrote in message

I just got hold off the manual and it doesn't require any torsion spring adjustments or removal of the torsion bar. The opener clamps over the torsion bar. This is the only tricky thing I saw "This opener will not install properly on doors with offsets other than 3-3/8" and 2-1/2"" This offset is the horizontal distance between torsion bar and the header wall holding the opener. Does anybody know is this is a standard distance?
I doubt any door is installed that perfectly if they are serious. Perhaps they are assuming you make some adjustments if necessary in the door installation or add to the header.

opener
the