Way to slow down box fan?

Page 3 of 3
Lamp dimmer control maybe?
On 7/29/2013 2:08 PM, heathcliff wrote:

Newer box fans are noisy. I have an older kmart box which is very quiet. Many upright fans are very quiet.
NO resistor.
Some motor speed controllers are only for brushed devices. A heavy duty dimmer will probably work, but may introduce buzzing.
Greg
On 7/29/2013 1:08 PM, heathcliff wrote:

use a dimmer.
--
Steve Barker
replying to heathcliff, Leo wrote: The best is to buy second box fan and connect wires in series, so these two fans become very quiet and you have a lot of speed options: from knob position 3 on both to 1 on both. Even 3 on both is quieter than single fan on 1. I also tried light dimmer but then fan motor was producing loud buzz, I guess because dimmer output is not sine wave, so that was a bad idea. Now, I am going to buy AC Motor Speed Control https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2000W-10A-Voltage-Regulator-PWM-AC-Motor-Speed-Control-Adjustable-50V-220V-Hot-S02/32722087063.html and hopefully it will work better than regular light dimmer.