Way to slow down box fan?

Page 2 of 3
On 2016-09-17 11:41 PM, bob_villa wrote:

--
Froz....

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:08:59 -0700 (PDT), heathcliff

I know exactly what you mean about the noise. Almost any fan, when run slow enough, will be totally quiet.
I don't know if a resistor would work, and rather than get into the possible problems, fire and everything, I'd recommend
either a) getting a fan speed control and finding a box to mount it in, For the most part, the only fan speed controls I've ever found were the kind that fills the same size box that a wall switch or receptacle goes into. Pretty big. I did once come across, at an electronics flea market maybe, one about the size of a brownie, but I couldn't find a box the right size and ended up putting it one that was the right width and depth, but was 4 inches high.
Hmmm, http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ac-motor-speed-contro The first one has a case and a cord l Not real attractive, but still. The second one I've never seen before. Only $6.50. I may switch to this if I ever need a sixth control. The two near the bottom are nice too http://www.ebay.com/itm/800W-AC-220V-Electronic-Motor-Speed-Control-controller-Switch-Regulation-new-/321134354360 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-500W-SCR-Electronic-Regulator-Motor-Speed-Controls-Dimmer-w-Switch-/141025594059
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000W-25A-Voltage-Regulator-Pulse-PWM-AC-Motor-Speed-Control-Adjustable-50V-220V-/271236401606
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500W-AC-220V-Electronic-Motor-Speed-Control-controller-Switch-Regulation-new-/321134354405 has its own plastic box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-AC-speed-Control-for-Blower-motors-/141020556064
They didn't have any of this stuff 15 years ago, I think.
Or b) getting a light dimmer, which usually comes already in a box and which also usually has a cord with a combination plug/receptacle, that you can plug the light [or fan] into and plug all of that into the wall.
Whenever I recommend this, I'm certain to get criticism about how light dimmers won't work with motors, and they are correct that they are not designed for the purpose, and once in a while I find a dimmer that will not work with a fan (probably it's the fan that is different from other fans, and less likely that the dimmer won't work with any fan.) but I have 30 years experience here, with about 12 fans and 3 or 4 different kinds of dimmer, and I think only one fan, at most two, would not work with the light dimmer I tried it with. None have shown RF interference with the radio or tv.
But you should never turn the speed down so low that the fan stops spinning. There were probably still be some current running through the fan motor, and if the energy in the current doesn't get turned into motion, it will be turned entirely into heat, with the possibility of a fire. (Although I seem to recall that I did test one combination, by turning the speed down just enough until it stopped, and letting it sit where it was always within my view for a 30 minutes and feeling the fan to see how hot it was. And it was only a trifle warm, so I probably decided it couldn't get too hot. But still there is no point to turning the speed down so it doesn't turn, when it's just as easy to turn the fan off.
I only use the AC about 10 days a year, fewer now that it has broken, so I have a fan in almost every room, even in the basement (which never gets that hot but on humid days, the fan feels good), and when the house is warm, I use them every day.
In the bedroom I had a small table fan, and sometimes it would get too cold at night, as it cooled off but the fan was still on. So I took a thermostat from a burned-out big box fan, mounted it in a big plastic cap from a large aerosol can, and wired that into fan wiring so the fan turns off completely if it gets colder than where I set it while I'm sleeping.
The dimmer I use the most they sold for maybe 20 years or more, but they don't seem to sell it, at least not in the same case now. It is like this one (Amazon.com product link shortened)75127449&sr=8-4&keywords=tabletop+lamp+dimmer except the control box has square corners, is brown plastic, with a center plate that is brown metal, and a knob that slides up and down. (Perhaps a little better than a round knob when doing this in the dark) The only way to tell if newer dimmers work as well is to test one. This new one has the on/off switch built in, so that is very good, especially since it's not at the end of travel of a knob. You can turn off the fan without changing the speed, it seems clear.

When the dimmer didnn't work with the fan, I mean that the fan didn't spin at all no matter what setting the dimmer was on. But the dimmer did work with other fans.
If the fan spun at all, everything else was fine, IME.

You can see this if you rolll the cursor over the slider control and see the enlarged picture of the dimple at one end.

More dimmers
(Amazon.com product link shortened)077369871681061617&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_937wg3ydmt_b http://www.lampsplus.com/products/dimmers/type_table-top-dimmer/ http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId051&langId=-1&catalogId053&keyword=plug-in+light%20dimmer&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All
On 7/29/2013 3:40 PM, micky wrote:

Dang, I forgot all about the dimmer already built on to the cord. The only thing I don't know about them is whether or not they use a triac. Perhaps one made to dim LED lamps would work better but those may use SCR's instead of triacs. I'm so use to building things I forgot about the ready made dimmers on a cord. O_o
TDD
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:26:19 -0500, The Daring Dufas

LOL. This reminds me of when I wanted to build a lid for lidless frypan, but you all convinced me to buy one meant for another pan or pot. (I had to go to 8 thrift shops, but it took only about 5 minutes each and was a lotl easier than making one.)

Ken,
Return the fan and try another brand. If you can't find one that's quiet enough look into balancing the blades. That's where the noise is coming from, most likely. Forget the resistor.
Dave M.
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:56:10 -0400, "David L. Martel"

A lof of fan noise is not caused by out-of-balance fans but by the air which is moving because of the fan. No matter how good the bearings or how well balanced the blades, if there is too much air moving, one can hear that. Many people may not mind or even notice, since it's the essense of a fan to move air, but I sure mind. Maybe that's what is bothering Heathcliff too.
(My last 3 Chrysler LeBarons had 4 speed fans, and I almost always kept the speed on 2, almost the slowest, because that was the fastest speed I could not hear. After 23 years with LeBarons, I bought a Toyota Solara, which has 5 fan speeds. Sounds better, but only the lowest speed is silent. But the lowest speed moves less air than speed 2 (and maybe even speed 1) of the LeBaron. So I'm forced to use speed 2 and put up with the noise.
(One of twenty reasons so far that the Chryslers (and the GM cars) were better than the Toyota.)

On 7/29/2013 4:20 PM, micky wrote:

I have an 89 full sized Dodge van that's older than the girls I chase. The poor old guy makes all kinds of noise. I'm looking for a vehicle manufactured in this century like a small SUV and I'll keep the old van since it carries a lot of stuff and has a ladder rack. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:30:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Good plan.
When I was in college my 80-year old cousin gave me his '50 Olds, in 1968, I noticed a similar car and left a note trying to buy his back-up lights. He wouldn't sell but we became friends. He was 30 or 35 and would drive his '50 olds around campus, saying he thought the college girls might find the car interesting. I'm sure none did, but I didnt' tell the guy since it seemed to be his whole social life.
He had two models of the 50 Olds, or a 50 and 51, and he had a whole townhouse stuffed full of electronic parts, etc. on the first floor at least, that he bought in bulk at auctions. He lived somewhere else.
Later, when my brother went to Viet Nam, he gave me his '65 Pontiac Catalina convertible, and when I left town 18 months after that, I couldn't take both. I didn't want to but I gave my Olds to my friend, so he had three!
On 7/29/2013 11:22 PM, micky wrote:

Man I wish I still had my 1981 Dodge Aries station wagon. It was a neat little car with bucket seats and four on the floor which was unusual for those funky little cars especially in a wagon. I got the roller cam from a later model 2.2L engine and it bolted right in and improved performance but the other thing that really helped was getting the clutch and flywheel off a turbo version of the 2.2L engine and it was a direct bolt in too. The friction surface and disk took up the whole flywheel which gave me the ability to lite up the front tires without any clutch slippage. Darn, I wish I still had the little critter. ^_^
TDD

For "Small SUV" I don't think anyone will ever top the Jeep Cherokee or early Grand Cherokee... everything since has either been too big or not capable enough.
It'll be a sad day when mine dies but I'm hoping to postpone that day as long as possible.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 7/30/2013 6:54 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Yea, I was thinking about an older Jeep Cherokee with the straight 6 in it because I loved my Slant Sixes in my Mopars. I even built a 170cid Slant Six with a 3/4 race cam. It was a real hoot to wind that little sucker up but I kept blowing the stock muffler off of it at high rpm. ^_^
TDD
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:14:55 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's funny that cars occupy a place in our hearts...I'm sure it's the memories that went with them and not the cars themselves...

Not the same thing... the old slant six was a MoPar design, the Jeep six was based on a similarly ancient and dead nuts reliable AMC design. I have owned both and like both but the later "high output" 4.0 Jeep engine is way stronger than a 225 slant six. Actually have to watch your right foot when it's damp out and you're in 2WD :)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 7/30/2013 7:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Heck, I'm very aware of the differences, I wrote straight 6 in the Jeep, not Slant Six. My dad owned a 51 Dodge sedan that had the old L-head six which Chrysler continued to manufacture as an industrial engine long after they stopped using it in cars and trucks. I know a tiny little bit about engines, I've rebuilt a variety of them and my favorite Ford engine is the 300cid straight six. I think it was used in a lot of UPS trucks at one time or so I heard. I'm really looking for a "small" SUV with a four banger but I tried to get into a Honda and as usual, I cracked my fracking head open on the door frame. ^_^
TDD
On Monday, July 29, 2013 5:20:31 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

If the noise is causes by too much air being moved, maybe blocking part of the fan by inserting a piece of cardboard in the grill-work would help.
On 07/31/13 07:58 am, Pavel314 wrote:

Keep in mind that the airflow has to keep the fan motor cool enough as well; restricting the airflow may allow the motor to overheat.
AND some kinds of electric motor (I don't recall which) overheat when run on a reduced voltage, so the resistor or dimmer suggestions made earlier may not be a good idea either.
Perce
On 07/29/2013 02:08 PM, heathcliff wrote:

The real solution would be to get a quieter fan, as a resistor in series with the low speed will draw just as much power as the low speed does now, and shed all its heat into the airflow going into your house.
I know, that's not the DIY way, but it's the truth...
If you really, really don't want to do that for whatever reason, I would remove the 3-speed switch, wire everything up so the fan runs on its FASTEST speed, and get a triac based motor speed control so your fan now has infinitely variable speed.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not a bad idea, except there's no need to remove the 3-speed switch. He can just set it to the highest speed. Then, if he or the next user ever stops using the speed control, he'll still have a 3-speed fan.
However, my experience is that sometimes it's better to use the external speed control with the lowest speed. Frankly, I forget why, but it might have been this: Say the knob and the rheostat is such that one can set the control to any one of 200 physical positions. If the fan has natural speeds of 400, 800, and 1200, then at the low setting, one can control the speed in increments of 2, (2 x 200 = 400) but at the highest speed setting, he can only control the speed in increments of 6. If he's going to use a speed below 400 anyhow, he'll have more control over the speed when the fan is set at 400. (I'm not saying 400 or 1200 what, revolutions per something or other. I don't know what actual speeds these fans run at.)