Way to check fuel tank yourself?

Page 2 of 2
Steve K wrote:

I replaced a basement oil tank that seemed to be on its last legs. In fact, the legs were completey rusted off. It was sitting on concrete blocks. It looked horribly rusty all over, but when I cut it up with a sawzall to get it out of the basement, I was amazed to see very shiny metal inside, at least 1/8" thick all over. The oil protected the inside from rust, even tho the outside was rotten. Seemed to me the tank would have lasted at least another 10 years, or maybe 20.
Nick

You can't trust them.
We are required to have our air tanks at work inspected every two years. They use an ultrasonic device to determine the condition. It is done from the outside just by putting a contactor on the tank and taking readings. Takes maybe 5 minutes per tank.
I'm not sure who to call to have it tested that way, but that would be far cheaper than buying a new tank.