WAY OT: Leftover food

Page 2 of 2
Per Meanie:

Now that you have said it, I remember a restaurant down in Cape Hatteras.
The owner sent an employee to the docks to purchase a tuna.
Guy thought he would beat the system: buy an old fish for cheap and pocket the diff.
Bottom line, one of the restaurant's customers (an M.D. no less...IIRC) died from eating the bad tuna.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 7:27:06 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

I take it you've never heard of sushi or sashimi?
On 1/1/2016 10:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Bait? <g>
On 01/01/2016 09:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Or gravlax and hakarl... Hakarl is particularly interesting since fresh Greenland shark is poisonous; you have to let it rot for a couple of months before eating.
On 1/1/2016 11:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The FDA 2009 Food Code allows food service establishments to serve raw or undercooked foods at a customer’s request as long as the customer is informed about the risks associated with consuming undercooked food and the customer is not part of a high-risk group. Everyone entering a sushi bar is aware of the risks and if they don't, it's still printed on the menu. The warning is simply "CAN" cause foodbourne illnesses. It doesn't always mean it will since many digestive systems vary and many people can build an immunity to it.
On 12/31/2015 5:11 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Chicken is not meat though you are correct, raw fish and raw poultry (if that's what you mean by bad) can cause food borne illnesses. As I stated in the other reply, that warning is required by law to be put on restaurant menus. Raw meat is served in some fancier restaurants. There's also a big difference compared to RAW (uncooked) and cooked, but left out.
On 12/31/2015 12:38 PM, Meanie wrote:

But there are starving children in Somalia...
On 1/1/2016 12:32 AM, rbowman wrote:

They are welcome to dig through my trash.

Depends how warm the kitchen was over night.
On 12/31/2015 3:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

68 degrees +/-
On 12/31/2015 5:07 PM, Meanie wrote:

If you'd kept your kitchen at 40F like you're supposed to....
But then, your wife would take endless hot showers.
On 12/31/2015 5:07 PM, Meanie wrote:

USDA guidelines, Should not be more than 4 hours between 40 and 140. That is the danger zone where bacteria reproduce.
In 12/31/2015 06:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'll file that where I usually put USDA guidelines.

yeah, I don't think that seafood salad with crab was out more than 4 hours, and it was never over 74.
On 01/01/2016 04:53 AM, Micky wrote:

Real crab? I used to get that imitation crab until one day after eating some I came down with extreme vertigo. Luckily I had driven the pickup to work that day since I don't think I could have ridden the bike. The dizziness lasted about eight hours. I think it was scrombroid poisoning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scombroid_food_poisoning

Definitely not what I had.
I did two things, that day. I cooked/ate two live Dungeness crabs, bought live from a local Asian sprmkt, and I ate a lunch at a local Korean food resto, for the first time.
Within 24 hrs I was sick and for the remaining 7 DAYS!, I changed from a digestive tract into a human aquaduct. I could not get more than 10 mins away from my commodee-odee. Never felt bad, but was reduced to a human squirt gun. Water in, water out. Every 10 mins, like clockwork.
BTW, special baby formula, with electrolytes, is more expensive than Gatorade. Gatorade really is a life-saver when yer desperately dehydrated.
I never did determine who was at fault. The crab or the Korean resto. But, I've never bought live sea creatures from an Asian sprmkt, ever again. I get D-crab directly off the boat! Well, usta. I now live in the CO Rockies and haven't eaten any D-crab in 8 yrs. (sigh).
If you live in CA:
<http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Health-warning-lifted-for-Dungeness-crab-from-6731167.php
nb

Well they have big chunks of sashimi?, fake crab, fish flavored with crab juice, but the label says "with crab". So some, I don't know how much, real crab. It's made up by the supermarket chain and since it's sold in house, iiuc the labeling requirements are less, but I'll check the label.

Somehow you recovered just in time to leave work! Amazing how that works.

Sounds terrible.
On 01/01/2016 12:53 PM, Micky wrote:

No recovery. I staggered out to the pickup, carefully drove home, and laid down with the room spinning around me. It reminded me of my misbegotten youth after consuming a few gallons of beer without the pleasant part.
On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 4:20:04 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

When that happens to me I lay down on a big lazy susan and spin with the room.
Problem solved.