WAY OT: Leftover food

I'll file that where I usually put USDA guidelines.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm sure I would. Cooked food keeps better than raw food.

I eat food that's been left out all the time, and I only get sick once in a while. Maybe by coincidence, the last time was this past Monday night. Vomited, lay down for a couple hours, vomited some more. No fever, but dreamt I'd swallowed the 3 little boxes in the upper right corner of a Windows computer screen and they were too wide so I had a pain in my belly all night. Even when I woke up the next day, after I was awake I was still planning to go to the computer and do something about the boxes until I figured out it was a dream.

Not hungry all day, vomited again 26 hours after it all started. Then I felt better, but wasn't hungry for another 5 hours.

My ex-girlfriend who normally shows no concern for my welfare makes an exception for ladders and unrefrigerated food, which she thinks I should avoid, expecially since at age 69, she thinks I'm less likely to recover from food poisoning. I'll admit that this one lasted 26 hours instead of the usual 8 or 12.

I also bought a little peach pie, that was half price at the supermarket, and was 3 days old, the last day to be sold accordign to the label. I was busy and didn't start on it for 3 days, and even though I hadn't lifted the cover, it already had mold on it, in 3 places. I looked at the label and sure enough, no preservatives!! I cut the little moldy parts out and ate the rest over 3 days. That didn't bother me a bit, shouldn't bother anyone, but it worried her.

AFAICT, it takes 2 days. 5 days and everything has passed through your body anyhow.

Started Monday night. Didnt' eat anything special monday but Sunday I think I took some seafood salad, with sashimi and crab juice in it, upstairs to eat there and didn't put the rest in the fridge for an extra 4 hours. I'm surprised that mattered. Usually 9 hours is not too much. Maybe there was crab meat and maybe it spoils faster?

Micky

I have that feeling too. But maybe it's just that fish spoils faster.

There's something that goes on with beef where they age it, keep meat for weeks before they sell it. It tastes better and they charge more. I'm not referring to smoked, salted, or spiced as preserving.

It could certainly be true. If the germs that hang out around fish are worse than the ones that do around meat.

Problems that sound unique to shellfish (not fish):

Shellfish toxin, including paralytic shellfish poisoning, diarrhetic shellfish poisoning, neurotoxic shellfish poisoning, amnesic shellfish poisoning and ciguatera fish poisoning

Tetrodotoxin (fugu fish poisoning). Wasn't fugu the centerpiece of a Columbo episode, and isn't it a fish that is almost never eaten in the west?

"In the United States, using FoodNet data from 2000?2007, the CDCP estimated there were 47.8 million foodborne illnesses per year (16,000 cases for 100,000 inhabitants)[48] with 9.4 million of these caused by

31 known identified pathogens." It's amazing there are so many restaurants and food stores and so few cases of disease.
Reply to
Micky

yeah, I don't think that seafood salad with crab was out more than 4 hours, and it was never over 74.

Reply to
Micky

........ Dry-aged beef Dry-aged beef is typically not sold by most supermarkets in the U.S. today, because it takes time and there is a significant loss of weight during the aging process. Dry-aging can take from 15 to 28 days, and typically up to a third or more of the weight is lost as moisture. This type of beef is served in higher-priced steakhouses and by select restaurants. Dry-aging can be done at home under refrigeration by three means: open air, with the presence of salt blocks, and with the use of a moisture permeable drybag to protect the meat while it is aging.

When dry aging using a moisture permeable material, surface mold growth is not present, flavor and scent exchange within the refrigerated environment is not a concern, and trim loss of the outer hardened surface is measurably reduced.[1] The flavor and texture profile of the beef is similar on all dimensions to the traditional open air dry-aged results.

Wet-aged beef Wet-aged beef is beef that has typically been aged in a vacuum-sealed bag to retain its moisture. This is the dominant mode of aging beef in the U.S. and UK today. It is popular with producers, wholesalers and retailers because it takes less time: typically only a few days and there is no moisture loss, so any given piece of meat sold by weight will have a higher value than a dry aged piece where moisture loss is desired for taste at the expense of final weight.

Reply to
Micky

You do realize meat and poultry differ? Eating raw meat is not as harmful as eating raw fish or poultry where bacteria grows much faster. In fact, fancier restaurants serve raw meat called "Tartar" but a restaurant WILL NEVER serve raw fish or poultry and they are required by law to have the warning notice on the menu about consuming raw fish and poultry can cause food borne illnesses.

Reply to
Meanie

They are welcome to dig through my trash.

Reply to
Meanie

Chicken is not meat though you are correct, raw fish and raw poultry (if that's what you mean by bad) can cause food borne illnesses. As I stated in the other reply, that warning is required by law to be put on restaurant menus. Raw meat is served in some fancier restaurants. There's also a big difference compared to RAW (uncooked) and cooked, but left out.

Reply to
Meanie

Per Meanie:

Now that you have said it, I remember a restaurant down in Cape Hatteras.

The owner sent an employee to the docks to purchase a tuna.

Guy thought he would beat the system: buy an old fish for cheap and pocket the diff.

Bottom line, one of the restaurant's customers (an M.D. no less...IIRC) died from eating the bad tuna.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I take it you've never heard of sushi or sashimi?

Reply to
trader_4

Bait?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Or gravlax and hakarl... Hakarl is particularly interesting since fresh Greenland shark is poisonous; you have to let it rot for a couple of months before eating.

Reply to
rbowman

Real crab? I used to get that imitation crab until one day after eating some I came down with extreme vertigo. Luckily I had driven the pickup to work that day since I don't think I could have ridden the bike. The dizziness lasted about eight hours. I think it was scrombroid poisoning.

rbowman

Definitely not what I had.

I did two things, that day. I cooked/ate two live Dungeness crabs, bought live from a local Asian sprmkt, and I ate a lunch at a local Korean food resto, for the first time.

Within 24 hrs I was sick and for the remaining 7 DAYS!, I changed from a digestive tract into a human aquaduct. I could not get more than 10 mins away from my commodee-odee. Never felt bad, but was reduced to a human squirt gun. Water in, water out. Every 10 mins, like clockwork.

BTW, special baby formula, with electrolytes, is more expensive than Gatorade. Gatorade really is a life-saver when yer desperately dehydrated.

I never did determine who was at fault. The crab or the Korean resto. But, I've never bought live sea creatures from an Asian sprmkt, ever again. I get D-crab directly off the boat! Well, usta. I now live in the CO Rockies and haven't eaten any D-crab in 8 yrs. (sigh).

If you live in CA:

nb

Reply to
notbob

The FDA 2009 Food Code allows food service establishments to serve raw or undercooked foods at a customer?s request as long as the customer is informed about the risks associated with consuming undercooked food and the customer is not part of a high-risk group. Everyone entering a sushi bar is aware of the risks and if they don't, it's still printed on the menu. The warning is simply "CAN" cause foodbourne illnesses. It doesn't always mean it will since many digestive systems vary and many people can build an immunity to it.

Reply to
Meanie

Well they have big chunks of sashimi?, fake crab, fish flavored with crab juice, but the label says "with crab". So some, I don't know how much, real crab. It's made up by the supermarket chain and since it's sold in house, iiuc the labeling requirements are less, but I'll check the label.

Somehow you recovered just in time to leave work! Amazing how that works.

Sounds terrible.

Reply to
Micky

No recovery. I staggered out to the pickup, carefully drove home, and laid down with the room spinning around me. It reminded me of my misbegotten youth after consuming a few gallons of beer without the pleasant part.

Reply to
rbowman

When that happens to me I lay down on a big lazy susan and spin with the room.

Problem solved.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

rbowman posted for all of us...

That was my thought too, extra salmonella?

Reply to
Tekkie®