Waxless toilet ring

I changed from wax to waxless rings some time ago.
Today I found the toilet was leaking again around the base.
I've pulled it apart and find that the gooey seal they use to adhere the ring to the bottom of the toilet did not stick well , was smeared off the ring and did not adhere to the toilet at all. There is no sign of residue on the toilet. I probably smeared it when lining up the flange bolts.
Is there a better adhesive/seal that I can use on the old ring after cleaning or should I just try another whole waxless ring?
The brand of the old ring is not the brand that was usiually recommended on this board but it was what the local HD had. We now have a Lowes and there is a local Ace.
I want to do this one more time and never again.
Charlie

If toillet leaked maybe the floor has been raised over time or flange was to low, I use 2 regular wax rings together.
"Charlie" wrote:

Wax rings are a non-reuseable product. Any time the toilet is lifted, the wax ring needs to be replaced.
Jon

I use Fernco wax-free rings & they stick like glue. But - clean the surface on the bottom of the toilet good. I used alcohol. Find Fernco's online somewhere if they're not available locally.

Don't try to reuse it. A new one is not that expensive. Clean the toilt mounting surface very thoroughly before applying. A fernco waxless applied to a clean surface just will not shift, smear, come off and will be totally destroyed on any attempt to remove it.
Harry K