Waxless seal

Has anybody tried the waxless toilet things that you get in HD and Lowes? They have black rubber rings instead. They are obviously less messy than wax rings but are they any good? I liked the fact that the 'shaft' is about 3-4 inches long so it will go down well below the flange.
Thanks.
<< Has anybody tried the waxless toilet things that you get in HD and Lowes? >>
No, I haven't, nor am I likely to. Like most people, IMO, you don't mess with success. Wax rings in properly installed systems have functioned perfectly for decades. A rubber seal lacks the ability of the wax to compensate for the inevitable variations in the porcelain pot, and unglazed pots would be even less certain. That's my nickel's worth (adjusted for inflation).
Joe

Lowes? >>

lacks
nickel's
We have used a spngy foam rubber version for about the last year with success, even though I still need to shim the toilet bowl slightly to the floor. Thanks for reminding btw. Also it sounds as though our seal is quite a bit shallower than the one described. Still got a spare wax seal in the bathroom vanity 'just in case' but am assuming we won't need it.
I've used rubber seals when frequently removing the toilet durring a remodel. When it was put in for the final install, I used wax.