Wax Ring Installation

The Fluidmaster wax ring I bought has a black funnel-looking piece of plastic that extends into the waste pipe. The instructions say to press it onto the horn outlet of the toilet bowl.

Why would this be better than placing the plastic funnel into the waste pipe and then lowering the toilet down onto it using the hold-down bolts as a guide? It seems that would provide better alignment and centering.

Reply to
Bob Simon

Because you wouldn't have visual inspection of what was happening at the more critical upper seal. People have done it both ways, but unless you have a pretty damn good reason to ignore the instructions, follow them. The company is not trying to make it more difficult or put one over on you.

RicodJour

I usually do it the way you suggest but I've probably put in 100. And if youre by yourself it's not easy putting the ring on the toilet then lifting it in place over the waste pipe without getting that nasty wax crap on stuff. If its your first do it the way the directions tell you, specially if you have help.

Reply to
evodawg

evodawg wrote in news:guspqr$g36$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

A hundred? Man, you've dealt with a lotta shit there Evodawg!

Reply to
Red Green

yep I do and not just in the toilet!!!!

Reply to
evodawg

Why not use the Fernco Waxless seal? Simple, clean and does away with the 'mess'. I'll never go back to the wax type.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k