Watter Hammer & noisy pipes

The little ones I bought have flexible rubber, I think, to keep the air from dissolving into the water, but eventually the rubber will break and since the things I bought are only 4 or 5 inches long and thinner than most pipes, the air will get absorbed even quicker, once it starts.
It's been about 10 or 12 years. So far so good. Again, I live alone so this and many things last longer.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:46:18 -0500, "Steve Barker"

I wanted to build it myself, but it would have been really difficult to install in this application.

I've heard that happens. I'm too young for it to have happened to me. ;)
Hmmm, even the webpage you gave, http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html gives a picture of an arrester with a piston inside.
I don't think they would do all the things they do -- this is just one method -- to keep the water separated from the air if the air didn't get absorbed by the water.
Hmmm. For the laundry mini-rester, which is a lot like I have, they now want 20 dollars each. I wonder if my retirement account allows for inflation!