Wattage for a Gas Water Heater

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:10:59 -0400, Micky

Channelling Stormy now, are we Mikey??
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 18:06:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm designing my dream house. And I understand if you make too much hot water, you can sell it back to the hot water company.
On 4/18/2016 8:38 PM, Micky wrote:

Got to realize, the hot water company only pays out wholesale. So, you need to sell back a LOT of hot water to make any money.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
wrote in message
According to: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,192981-4,00.html
A GAS water heater uses 500 running watts, and 1500 watts to start it.
What the fuck? Gas water heaters dont use ANY electricity......
--
(copied from that web page, see second from the bottom)

Coffeemaker: 1,750 running watts, add 0 watts for starting
On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 3:40:41 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

Of course the power can change and typically will change. For example, a hot surface ignitor is only on for 30 secs or so for lighting the burner of a water heater. And even those change resisance significantly as they heat up.

Except that it doesn't. The resistance of a light bulb increases dramatically as it goes from cold to hot. I happens quickly, but the effect is still there.

On the part of what writer?

Bingo. And power vent water heaters have a blower motor, which is why they need that AC to power to begin with.

So, what exactly was your point again?
"trader_4" wrote in message

Of course the power can change and typically will change. For example, a hot surface ignitor is only on for 30 secs or so for lighting the burner of a water heater. And even those change resisance significantly as they heat up.

Except that it doesn't. The resistance of a light bulb increases dramatically as it goes from cold to hot. I happens quickly, but the effect is still there.

On the part of what writer?

Bingo. And power vent water heaters have a blower motor, which is why they need that AC to power to begin with.

So, what exactly was your point again?
Average and in General hot water heaters do not have motors and do not have electric igniters' some new shit that may be but the older ones for many years did not have modern shit.
So, what is your point?
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:21:17 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

I don't know what you consider an "average" or " in general" water heaters. Power vent types are in widespread use, have been for 15 years or more here, particularly for new construction. Take a look at HD, Lowes, plumbing supply, they all stock them. And all that was sorted out in the first few posts, ie that it's the power vent type that use AC.