Wattage for a Gas Water Heater

So what? Are you suggesting that a table for emergency generator sizing is listing the gas heating energy, not the AC power that's used for the blower, ignitor, etc.? Good grief.

As to 500W being high, generator sizing charts are typically on the high side, that has already been noted.

Reply to
trader_4

I've never seen such a Water Heater, but I dont doubt they exist. But I agree, no 500 or 1500w for what is a probably a small fan. I've never seen any gas WHR with any electrical connections....

Reply to
Paintedcow

The one or two vented WH, the ventor motor is much less than 500 watts. I suspect the lists contain at least a couple wild guess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm designing my dream house. And I understand if you make too much hot water, you can sell it back to the hot water company.

Reply to
Micky

Got to realize, the hot water company only pays out wholesale. So, you need to sell back a LOT of hot water to make any money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course the power can change and typically will change. For example, a hot surface ignitor is only on for 30 secs or so for lighting the burner of a water heater. And even those change resisance significantly as they heat up.

Except that it doesn't. The resistance of a light bulb increases dramatically as it goes from cold to hot. I happens quickly, but the effect is still there.

On the part of what writer?

Bingo. And power vent water heaters have a blower motor, which is why they need that AC to power to begin with.

So, what exactly was your point again?

Average and in General hot water heaters do not have motors and do not have electric igniters' some new shit that may be but the older ones for many years did not have modern shit.

So, what is your point?

Reply to
Tony944

I don't know what you consider an "average" or " in general" water heaters. Power vent types are in widespread use, have been for 15 years or more here, particularly for new construction. Take a look at HD, Lowes, plumbing supply, they all stock them. And all that was sorted out in the first few posts, ie that it's the power vent type that use AC.

Reply to
trader_4