Watt-hour meter

Can anyone tell me where to find a (cheap!) watt-hour meter that I can use to determine how much electricity various appliances use. The number one suspect is my frig, but I also wonder about the circulator pump, a room full of computer equipment, TV set, etc.
Kil-A-Watt meter 30-50$ usualy at Radio Shack. Logs V . Amps, Va , watts , khz, time and watt hrs used , up to 15A usage. Its been tested to be quite accurate.

Radio Shack has discontinued them (I got the last one from one store last summer). Not sure how they are distributed now (mfr is constructing a new web store), but here is info:
http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-HG.html
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

I think it is hard to measure the usage for the frig since depends on when the compressor turns on. Do you have the electric hot water? I believe it is the most expensive next to air condition or heat.
Hai

full
Measuring refrigerator energy use is just like anything else, my use compares with the gov rating. and my monthly bill.

full
What does the circulator pump do? At work we have circulator pumps that are 10 hp. I will bet yours is a fractional hp. Put time clocks on the pumps and your water heater. I do, the savings are good. Of course I am gone from 6am-5pm each day M-F. Got A/c use an programable stat. To hot you say,,,,, put the fan to on... Works for me.
Check to see if your local electric utility has any old watt-meters. You can probably buy one for less than $15 and certainly can get them from 3-bay. You will also need a base (cheap) for the meter to fit into, a cord, and an outlet box, outlet, and cover. It will need to be changed from 250V to 120V which usually just involves switching a wire. It won't be automatic and it won't zero so you have to write down the reading and time at the beginning and ending of the measuring. I've used mine to measure actual electrical consumption of all sorts of appliances.
"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Hi,
Probably not the cheapest but many have mentioned these are easy to use and work well..... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N12487 Kill-a-Watt Meter - Track total power consumption by hour, day, week, month, or year. Also displays Voltage (V), Line Frequency (Hz), and Power Factor (PF). 15 amp maximum. No batteries required. Accepts standard 110 volt plugs, 2 or 3 prong.

use
one
full
Looks great! Just what I wanted. I have already ordered. Thanks, Jeff.

They sell all the time on eBay for $19.95.
Dennis