Wather station

Page 1 of 2
My Zephyr weather station arrived today. PWS1000-TDx
The "x" model is much cheaper because of a blemish on the bezel. I can find a spot the size of a pin head that is not perfect if I really look hard.
I took about an hour to get the parts sorted out and assembled. The sensors are all mounted on an included pole that gets mounted atop your own mast. Parts fill together well and everything worked. You have 45 seconds to get the batteries in the base and then the remote unit. I missed the first time, bt easily did it the second time because I had the batteries in place and just pushed the last one in the holder and they started to commnicate.
Everything on the display works and the termperature is accurate. I tried the rain gauge by pouring some water in it, but a few hours later, nature gave me a real test with a thunderstorm. You can get accumulated readings for the hour, day, week, month.
The outside unit takes two AA batteries. Since we get -0 temperatures at times, I used lithium batteries outside and regular alkaline in the base.
Now I have to get my computer back from the shop and try the software. Ed

Thanks Ed. Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So, does the temp sensor have a radiation shield which means it can be mounted in the sun? If not, I'm confused abput something.

It is not stated, but there is an enclosure. I can tell better tomorrow if there is sun for a change. So far, it seems to be accurate in the late afternoon sun as compared to a thermometer in the shade. 23 or 29 days in June have had rain so far and the next couple of days will also.
wrote in message

My S.O. is in northern VT right now. Has said nothing but rain as with you. Here in NC it's been varying 90-99 with no rain for weeks and it's not even July. The typical late afternoon thunderstorms are not existant. Guess I need to pick up a 6-pack tomorrow...of alkalines that is.
wrote in message

I've been messing with mine when I can which hasn't been much. Haven't mounted it yet. I found it takes a bit of time for the temp to settle when there's been a sudden change where it would vary a few degrees. Suppose that's good and maybe by design to avoid erroneous readings.
As far as the plastic vent shield enclosure for it, I'd say it's not very effective. I had it stabilized in the shade then moved it into the sun. It moved up some pretty quick. Didn't leave it there long to see how much it rose.
I'll have to see about a mount location. I'm leaning towards mounting it on the upper part of the roof rake end about 12'. The soffiet is pretty wide so maybe I can mount the temp sensor there so it's in the shade. Of course that presents that that area can tend to attract warmer air. As far as extending it upwards, I found the short post that came with it fits perfectly inside 3/4" copper pipe. At least that is fairly light, rigid and can be painted. Was originally thinking some plastic PVC pipe be even short lengths of a few feet would be too flexible during windy times.
It's kind of neat that all the sensor connections are nothing more than standard phone lines and jacks. Have to look into it but if the ones that are with it are wired just like a phone, possible I can put the wind and rain sensor in their ideal location and the temp sensor much farther away in it's ideal location.
But wait! There's more!...I'm sure :-)

My only experience with weather stations was when I was stationed in AK back in the late 70's. While on radio watch, you had to go out every hour and take a bunch of readings from a number of instruments in a wooden enclosure. The "wet bulb" was my 'favorite'. There was a tubular-thermometer with a spinner handle attached. We would dip a cloth casing in alcohol (?), slip it over the smart end of the thermometer, spin the thermometer for some specified amount of time and then immediately record the reading next to the standard "dry bulb" reading. If I recall correctly, the readings had something to do with determining the relative humidity.
I also recall that we went through a lot of thermometers 'cuz it's kind of hard to hold onto the spinner handle when it's 35 below with 30 MPH winds and you're wearing these:
http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/images/British%20Army%20Gortex%20Mitts.jpg
wrote in message

Never done AK but have experienced severe low temps like that, Lived in northern VT about 40mi from Canada. Generally -30 was the bottom of the barrel in isolated years. Northeast Kingdom saw much colder temps even. Anyway, one night is was way down near -30 with a heck of a wind. Think they said the wind chill was -49 to -55.
I had heard that when the air temp is -60 water will crystalize into "snow" when tossed in the air. If you boiled the water it would do it at a higher temp like -50 or -40. Boiled up a pot and tossed it in the air off the deck. Son of a gun,,,instant "snow". Reading about it is one thing. Seeing/doing it is another.
wrote in message

I got around to mounting it late today. I did mount it to near the peal on one of the ends. The roofline at that point is about 15' and I put the short pole supplied up higher by extending it. As I said, the supplied pipe fits like a glove inside 3/4 copper pipe. So, the wind sensors are up a good height with nothing blocking it. Adding the extra 5' of height reduces/minimizes roof heat reflection. 5' was recommended in the installation link I previously posted. I'll take some pics to spread ideas.
The temp sensor is mounted pretty much under the soffit and will always be shaded. I'm sure being close to the house surface and somewhat shielded from wind will introduce some error but the error when sun was on it was way out of line IMO.
Wonder if I've introduced a brain fart raising the mast. We have not had rain in weeks. I get the pole mounted to the house and am all set to place instruments. It gets dark, rumbles and some lightning starting. Time to put this aside since I'm up on the roof. Then I'm thinking I put this COPPER pipe above the roofline. Only thing higher is the chimney and a much much higher stand of pine trees maybe 40 ft away.
Is this 5' mast gonna be a "Yo, hello lightning bolt. Over here."? The pipe is mounted to the house fascia and sensor connections are all wireless to indoors.

I have mine on a temporary pole. My wife wants me to put a 4 x 4 in the corner of the deck to hang a planter. I'm thinking I can mount the station on the top or the other side. I too, have noticed the temperature high in the sun, but I'm not sure by exactly how much yet so I may extend the cord down below the deck where it will be in the shade. My deck is 8' above grade so there will not be any ground reflection.
wrote in message

Well when the stabilized temp in the shade was 97 today I moved it in the sun for like 10-15min. It read 102.

Got my computer back today. Installed the software, but have not done much with it so far. It does import the information so you can have a history but I'm not sure of the immediate value of it all. I guess I should read the instructions.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When all else fails:-))
wrote in message

CD's are still sitting here unopened. As I said, the only reason I got the TD vs TB is it was less expensive because of the "flaw". I never did find the flaw. Looked briefly for it but if I have to look that hard then it doesn't matter. Maybe when later when I'm finalized with the setup.
I moved my thermometer/base unit today. Location was not good. Too close to things that would affect it like vents and siding. Although it was in the shade 99% of the time the the 10 feet of siding below it got baked in the afternoon. That heat rises up to the soffit area where the unit sensor was. Got a roll of phone wire and move the unit 35' to one side of the house that never gets sun because of trees and direction (grass almost impossible to grow there). Still under a soffit about 8' off the ground and the siding is always ambient. The opposite side of the siding is an unheated storage area. Temp seems very solid now.
Had to use phone line couplers because one end of the wind and rain sensors is hard wired into them and the other is a modular connector. Couplers are protected under the soffit but I'll have to find a good way to seal them. I see online that 3/4" dia shrink wrap is made. Have to see if it's available at the Borg or Radio Shack.
Could not figure out why my relative pressure was consistantly high compared to the NWS Ft Bragg station that is probably only a mile from here. Oh, duhhh, you initially ahve to set the relative pressure for your location. Very small blip about it, item 3 on pg 10 (PWS-1000TD) of the manual.
Red Green wrote: ...

Guessed I missed that...this thing is actually hardwired, not telemetry? That'd pretty much eliminate it for my application methinks...

Partially wired.
Look at the pic of it.
http://tinypic.com/r/16knxcn/5-X
Marked in red and blue there is one 10' phone wire (w/modular connector) coming from the crossbar at the top from the wind sensors that plugs into the front of the temp sensor/transmitter (on right, device on lowest part of mast). There is a 2nd 10' phone wire that comes from the rain gague to the temp sensor.
The temp sensor monitors other stuff and does the wireless transmitting. If everything is on the mast then it's just plug & play.
If you need the temp sensor/transmitter more than 10' away from the gauges then you have to extend the cables using std phone line couplers and std 4 wire phone cord. The length depends on how far away you need it.
Red Green wrote:

Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation -- w/ my dialup as slow as it is, I didn't take the time to reload the page itself.
Hmmm...I'll have to think about whether I think there's a single useful spot to put the sucker...
wrote in message

p.s.
If you're not close to an NWS station, find your elevation someplace and convert to set the unit.
    http://www.hwn.org/home/conversion-tools.html
Ed wrote:

So where did you find that? Google thinks the x is a mistake...

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWS-1000TD-X
Red Green wrote:

Thanks for the link.
Will it stand 100+ winds (I am in FL)?