Watersoftner resin tank

Installing a new Fleck 9000 40,000 Grain Dual Tank system. Plumber who came to install was concerned about two items:
1. No gravel for the bottom of the resin tank - just resin only. 2. No filter or screen (I think he called it a top collector)at the top of the resin tank to keep the resin out of the meter during backwash.
Are the gravel and tank filter necessary? If so, please point me to where I can purchase them.
Hoby in Idaho

Many softeners don't have a gravel underbed. It is a useful addition though. I always use or order gravel in my softeners. It prevents channeling of the bed and provides for less pressure drop across the unit. Gravel also provides the best backwash flow rate.
Top baskets ("filter or screen") are only needed when certain criteria are met. They are; undersized tanks which means the freeboard is not sufficient or should I say the normal amount, you top dress with a light weight anion resin or other media like carbon. As long as the tank size is correct for the volume of resin and/or other media in it, and the backwash rate is the proper one for the tank, the resin/media won't get out of the tank during regeneration. And with a top basket, worn and/or broken resin beads and dirt etc. can't be backwashed out of the tank as they are meant to be. Depending on how 'dirty' the raw water is and how much iron etc. is in the water, top baskets can become blocked by the inlet water.
There is no way the resin can get to the meter during regeneration; all meters are on the outlet of the control valve and regeneration water exists from the drain line not the into the building's plumbing.
So who did you buy your 9000 from?
Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary, thanks for your help. I purchased the softener from Water Value - here on the internet. I did a google search for fleck and found them. Our town here in Idaho does not offer very many choices. I didn't know this forum existed or I would have asked for help here.
Hoby in Idaho