Waterproofing wooden pool house

Hi,

I have a wooden pool house (cabana, where pool equipment is stored) build out of wood (not sure what type). Lower part of the house is getting darker, color is kind of black. I am planning to apply some sort of water sealer, so to preserve natural wood look. I have a few questions: Do I have to waterseal wood if it was preasuare treated? How do I remove this blackins top layer from the wood?

Thanks

Reply to
PoolGuy

Generally the biggest problems in such places is excess humidity, "waterproofing" per se is probly not going to help much, and could actually make the situation worse.

Better might be to take measures promoting better ventilation if at all possible, IMO.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Second first. Oxalic acid a/k/a deck wash should do the job. Splash some on, let it sit, rinse it off, repeat if needed. It might raise the grain, so sanding might be recommended as a follow-up treatment. This should all be done first.

Next, I agree with the other poster that waterseal/proof might not be the way to go. I'd look first for the cause, because if you don't solve it, it's only going to return.

Is the cabana on any sort of foundation? You could consider lifting it up and placing it on a new foundation of 0.60 retention grade 2x6s or perhaps lifting it onto concrete paving stones at each corner if the existing framing is strong enough (otherwise make a new foundation of, oh, treated 4x4s). The idea is to get the wood away from the moisture in some way. Look at drainage; is the cabana in a spot that drains poorly, or too shaded to dry quickly in the sun? What about the drainage inside the cabana? Is there some way for the water to get out, or do you need more airflow to help dry stuff out?

Reply to
Dan Hartung