Waterproofing product For A Cardboard Tube ?

Hello,

Is there some kind of (liquid ?) waterproofing product avail. at HD or Lowes that I can apply to a cardboard mailing tube to make it waterproof ?

Would like to use it to store a fishing rod over the winter in the basement, and I would prefer that the tube not absorb any moisture.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

PVC drain pipe (suitable size) with caps. You can bury it if you want

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Several layers of duct tape comes to mind. about ten layers, all over the tube and the end caps.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you just want to prevent the cardboard from absorbing moisture, it is a simple matter to coat it with polyurethane varnish, or an oil based paint. Plug one end, pour in the finish. tilt it and rotate it to coat the entire interior, then pour out the excess and brush it on the outside. Allow to dry, and "bob's your uncle".

Reply to
clare

Great idea! Much better idea than using paper. One must assume that over time moisture cna migrate into ANYTHING.

Get some of those little paper 'dessicant' packages and put in there, too. It is my understnading that you can re-charge those dessicants by heating, but don't know what temp. Heard that a kitchen oven is hot enough to do it, 500F ?? Anybody know?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Cap, one end, cleanout on other end. Grease the threads.

As to the dessicants, that info has to be on the web some where. Water boils at 212, so can't be much more temp than that. I'd worry about damaging the cloth bags, if it's too hot.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depending upon the size of the PVC he uses, he can probably find smaller metallic encased dessicant packs. I bought some metal ones that are around the size of a BIC lighter and I have one canister about 4" in diameter by 5" tall for the personal safe at home. Think that I rejuvenate either one at about 375 degrees for varying periods of time. Color change pink to blue to pink.

That said, not sure the OP really needs that much protection or if it would even be good for a quality bamboo rod. If fiberglass or graphite, what difference would it make? I'm guessing he was worried more about mold or mildew forming?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Map Seal would probably work, but it's quite expensive. You probably could get by with standard varnish.

Reply to
rbowman

The ones I saw that were rechargeable said 180 degrees for 16 hours but when I did it I found that the ones that did not have instructions on the bag were using a plastic bag that came apart. I ended up with a few recharged bags and an oven full of silica gel.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hello,

Is there some kind of (liquid ?) waterproofing product avail. at HD or Lowes that I can apply to a cardboard mailing tube to make it waterproof ?

Would like to use it to store a fishing rod over the winter in the basement, and I would prefer that the tube not absorb any moisture.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
WW

Most people don't realize that those personal safe's have an intense amount of moisture in them in order to meet that 'prolonged exposure to fire' requirement! That's why you found them being dumped at insane prices everywhere for a while.

Reply to
RobertMacy

DAMHIK But the dessicant can I placed in there manages it quite nicely

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Something is fishy here. Fishing rods are designed and built so as to survive without harm exposure to the whole range between 100% humidity (total immersion) and the lowest natural atmospheric humidity. There is no need to shield rods from ambient humidity unless local conditions would also promote mould/mildew on the rods.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

From memory, people discovered how their little hand guns they put in there were suddenly rusting! And some of the really cheap safe's were actually molding their documents.

I put stuff in a "safe deposit box" at a bank only to find that some items came up missing! I have NO idea how that's possible, nor did the bank manager, but it DID happen.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yeah, but I wouldn't go so as to say soaking them wouldn't hurt them. I've had a couple rod tubes, and used them mainly for transport. Protects them from blunt force trauma - like stepping on them, or slamming the trunk lid on them. I'd use PVC pipe.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I had a graphite bass rod that traveled so much it should have been getting air miles. It was in a schedule 40 PVC pipe and it always arrived safely, even if late a time or two.

Reply to
gfretwell

Anything over 200 is plenty. Just setting them out in direct sun on a dark sheet will do it

Reply to
clare

A kitchen oven will do 900 deg. F on a self clean cycle, but you don't need that to recharge dessicant packs.

There should be instructions for recharging dessicant packs on the internet somewhere.

Reply to
nestork