Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint

Location is Miami Florida. I am going to repaint my house. Single story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.

The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles - same size same model but different color, since that was all they had in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are hard to find and book in our areas). So anyways I have now a roof with

80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white tiles. I am considering repainting the roof.

After doing some research on the net, it seems there are a significant amount of people who thinks this is not a good idea because the paint will eventually break down and decompose after a short time under the extreme heat and rain in Florida.

I did find this site which claims success.

a picture of the roof with their product after application:
The steps are:

Surface Preparation: Treat Surface with Chlorine to Kill Mold, Mildew, Fungus High Pressure Water Blast to Completely Clean Surface

Prime Coat:

SOMAY Product No. 777 - "PST" 100% Poly-Acrylic Primer, Sealer Color: Clear

Intermediate Step:

SOMAY Product No. 992 - SOMAY Elastomeric "PATCH & SEAL" (Caulk) to seal all joints

Intermediate and Finish Coats:

SOMAY Product No. 842, SOMAY Elastomeric "ROOF MASTIC", Sealer & Protector Apply at 20 mils dry film thickness for each coat Color: White

Total: 40 mils dry film thickness for all 3 coats

So what I don't understand is this. When they said "Intermediate Step ... seal all joints" do they mean they seal the edge of each tile? So that there is no water to go under any tile? and 40 mils of all 3 coasts is very thick! This is like covering the roof completely with one continuous layer...right?

Mc

Reply to
miamicuse

I think you're on the right track

far as one continuous layer..

i don't see the need

2 things

right! I agree.. 3mil is thick second, why not just goback to your original plan of sealing the concrete

you're not looking to waterproof the roof, just seal the concrete

sealers are super thin and soak into the block.. f*ck all that prep shit.. i mean sure.. remove leaves and sticks and stuff.

crete sealers have a watery property.. hell! spray it on!

why not just tint the sealer.. make several applications and be done with it.

try to match the old color.

Reply to
chili palmer

I'm in Hawaii [heavy UV] with a concrete shake-style tile roof. If you are simply adding a color coat to even out the look, skip the heavy prep.

1/3 the work and 1/3 the price. I've had fine results from simply applying a quality elastomeric coating with a heavy nap roller. Don't apply after a rain - you'll tend to get bubbles. [Of course, no better way to get a drizzle than to start a roof project.] Colors will fade in a few years [darker colors faster] but the results should be uniform.
Reply to
John Keiser

Living in florida, same setup concrete block house, older tile roof. I'm of the mind if it aint broke dont fix it, paint it once you'll always be painting it. I look at this way, my roof is 15 years old, the original glazing which was baked on was baked off by the florida sun a long time ago. I would seriously doubt painting or sealing which I also considered would last more than a few years...figure baked on original coating maybe lasted 10 years, surely any other wont last but 5 years maybe which then will have to have it done again.

I've decided with these tile roofs its best to leave them alone, depending on how the tiles are put up there (sometimes they're nailed, sometimes held with a blob of morter) if morter, the more you're up there the more you're going to loosen them and the more that will want to slide down from vibrations,etc from storms, thunder, hurricanes, etc.

When I redid my house I contemplated coating the roof as it was pretty dirty. I decided against painting because I just dont see it lasting more than a few years. I had it pressured washed and wish I hadn't even did that, broke, loose tiles,etc. Anyways after pressure washing it it looked good, I thought about sealing it with concrete sealer because with the glazing gone all of the tiles are just dirt magnets since its open pore concrete now, but I doubted that stuff would last 1 summer so I didn't bother.

Though....my roof is the red stuff. White would drive me nuts, red when it gets dirty looks like dirty red, white just looks dirty...but doesn't absorb the heat as much.

My neighbor had his tile painted or coated after a partial replacement and it looks good. But I coat my pool deck (some type of acrylic modified cement kooldeck stuff) with a concrete stain...its birdcaged in from full sun exposure but with the heavy rains and sun it doesn't last more than 2 seasons before I have to recoat it again. I could be wrong, but I just dont see this kinda of stuff lasting ..

-shawn

Reply to
shawn

I would like to leave it alone, but the grey + white color is too distinct and it look bad. I have to do something...I wonder if I should use concrete stain or Elastomeric waterproofing paint.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

you mean concrete sealer?

like:

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Stain 072-01

or

58 Benjamin Moore Architectural Coatings Concrete Waterproofing Sealer 075-01

something like that?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I would give it a couple of years. I suspect that the colors will begin to match in time. I suspect that any paint or other product you use will be regretted in time. Consider the two different colors as a badge of courage of living through it all and a conversation item.

If you do decide to paint stain or whatever, do all the prep work very carefully. It is the most critical part of the whole project. BTW you do risk the change of damaging the roof doing this work, which is another reason not to do it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

it's an old joke, when its trying to rain you pencil in a circle on the roof.. if you get more than 25 drops in the circle you get to come down. of course a good rain dance never hurts

heyah heyah heyah.. you gotta raise one hand and do a slight shimmey - works every time

Reply to
chili palmer

sure! you get what you pay for, i've seen 5 and 6 yr sealers, i've seen

15 year sealers
Reply to
chili palmer

Are you sure the original tiles aren't white?..my neighbor has a white roof and everytime he has it pressured washed i'm amazed that it was actually white. No idea how they paint them, it would seem like concrete acid wash, then concrete stain would be longer lasting, but if your new tiles have some type of ceramic coating seems you would need something more paint like it would seem.

I think you're going to have to do some calling around on this. I just went out and looked at that nieghbors roof who had thiers painted or coated or whatever, its been 2 years and still looks very good...so i dunno maybe they can get 8 years or so out of whatever it is they do? Theres alot of houses arond here who do it, i'm just nervous of creating another major chore..

Reply to
shawn

that's a good idea

pressure wash them first maybe they're actually white

Reply to
chili palmer

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Kota

Only about 3 years late.

Reply to
ransley

All Surface Restorations and Preservations Inc. Blog Don't Re Roof Weatherproof @ 1/2 the cost

THINGS THE CUSTOMER SHOULD KNOW&THE; QUESTIONS THE CUSTOMER SHOULD ASK WHEN CONSIDERING PURCHASING AN ADVERTISED ROOF WEATHERPROOFING PAINT SEALANT SYSTEM TO STOP LEAKS OR TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF THE EXISTING ROOF.

Read the fine print and be sure to get any and all warranties and guarantees in writing: Florida Rules: Regarding the roofing industry for leak guarantees must be a minimum of 2 years. It also states that unusual wind condition of 65 miles per hour or above will void any previous roof repair or new roof installation warranties. This can vary depending upon the contractor and/or the system being installed. In any event, be sure to inquire about the fine print on the written warranties presented and how this may affect you in the event of a storm.

If any contractor advertises they are a participating contractor, they use FPL Energy Star rated products, the products they install are FPL Star rated and they state that you get 50 cents per square foot rebate,LIKE Somay Roof Repair Coating,Acrylux Roof Paint ,Acry-tech roof seal or The Roof Guy.

Translation is, all the programs listed in and above were designed to encourage the public to help conserve energy consumption and we applaud their efforts, some of these benefits are for example having your roof painted white are obvious, it saves on cooling costs by lowering demand for the electric to run your ac, saves on ac repairs since your ac systems are not under as much stress, using products like Elastomeric is also important because you want it to perform as long as possible, getting paid to do this is even better, right. Be careful here many of the offers we have examined are selling the sizzle not the steak.

FACTS:

  1. If the contractor is a partner, the REBATE CHECK comes to the contracting firm not the homeowner any other transaction is unlawful, no roof contractor gives anyone 50 cents per sq ft to work on your roof, price/mark up /mark down to where they needed to be AS THE RULE not the exception.
  2. The pressure cleaning and application of white paints or Elastomeric DOES NOT add wind lift strength ON TILE ROOFS to any substantial levels and the ONLY TEST THAT PROVES that is the Miami-Dade County State of Florida approved TAS-106. After the job is completed to demonstrate that the tile are permanently locked down and can resist real hurricane force winds and projectiles Up-Lift Test Video
  3. By applying a paint or Elastomeric DOES NOT make your roof seamless or monolithic at all points and by itself is not a multi layered system, is not able to stop leaks ,unless they are dug out and dried back in with conventional methods., ONLY EXCEPTION if they are actually installing a monolithic hard coat over every sq inch of the surface of the roof first APPLYING SEVERAL thick layers of coatings over a several days See How It's Done
  4. The to be a FPL partner or have your product Energy Star rated does not require sufficient detailed evidence AND VERIFICATION of documentation from the contractors installation work actually undertaken or the manufacturers records that any roofs were installed with their products on them for no less than a 3 year period, prior to a slit sample removal of the weathered product and supposed jobsite in question.

CONCLUSION

NOTE: OUR PRODUCT IS being submitted with the additional documentation and we will continue to endeavor to present the steak, not the sizzle.

Additional Questions The Customer Should Ask

How long has the company been in business? Do they specialize in roof painting and waterproofing? Do they have the required license and insurance? Does the contractor have verifiable roof references over five years/over

10 years in his or her actual name? How many times have they been cleaned/repainted and at what cost? What products are being used (within South Florida)?

Roofprotect manufactured by All Surface Restorations&Preservations inc. is the only one that can be submerged under water for prolonged periods without subsequent damage due to saturation to the coating, providing it is installed properly over the surface it's being applied to and maintained with minimum amount of maintenance/or re-top coating.

FACT:

  1. The complete Roof Shield System utilizing Roofprotect products is the only tile coating process to have a wind lift tested strength rating results of 100lbs of lift resistance and greater, which is = to 300 to 600 mph wind pressures, another words the roof will come off at the hip before the tile are breached
2 .All Surface Restorations & Preservations Inc. manufactured & installed the Roof Shield System utilizing Roofprotect products on all of jobsites listed on its references pages and holds the original contracts for the those jobsite testimonials,
  1. The only company that warrantees the exiting roof tile attachment to a cat 5 after the Roof Shield System utilizing Roofprotect products are applied to an exiting older cement tile, shingle, barrel tile roof.
  2. Roofprotect roof acrylic coating that has a zero blistering test results after cure in prolonged submersion in water and the in the field o saturation documented on long term projects.
  3. Lloyds of London has acknowledged the Roof Shield System and Roofprotect products for product liability, so the entire process is not contingent to claims loss reimbursement if the system should fail, it is backed by Lloyds of London insurance for its stated performance criteria completely.

Do you know how to calculate the rate at which any Elastomeric should be applied, assuming if it is a real resin through acrylic rubber? (in other words, how much product shows up at the job?) It depends on the manufacturers specifications. Did the contractor put enough product on. Will the thickness of the coating be subject to a slit sampling to make sure? Do you have their data sheet to calculate the required coverage ratio for thickness of the coatings? Are they a paint manufacturer selling roof coatings without a roof leak free warrantee? Are they a roof waterproof coating manufacturer who also sells paint that has to be applied to their waterproofing?

FACT:

Generally most Elastomeric were never designed to be waterproofing roofs anyway, only walls that's because they hold a percentage of h2o in its film thickness every time it rains. This type of product is to be applied at a minimum of 100 sq. ft. per gallon, two coats are applied to arrive at no less than 8 dry mills per coat. Also water barrier Elastomeric require a third paint coat to protect it from damage from weathering, protect the protectant doesn't make much sense if they are waterproof or a weatherproof roof coating system and product to begin with then additional coats should be very suspect.

FACT:

  1. Home Depot, Lowe's and other roof coating & paint suppliers have no ability to supply any guarantees whatsoever with regards to the roof coating products they sell, primarily because they are not designed to have the characteristics required to provide any long term waterproofing or weatherproofing capability's.
  2. The roof coating and paint retailers listed above do not have any wind lift strength ratings on their products for tile roofs. Furthermore our company All Surface Restorations and Preservations Inc. is the only contracting & manufacturing firm that has the side by side still photo's & video footage of real case history local results) as well as the original contracts of the those specific property's dated & documented before the recent hurricanes : for example all the houses on the street missing roof tiles except the homes that had our Roof Shield System installed on it documented years prior to the advent of real hurricane force winds. On our site there are several commercial & residential shingle, cement tile, barrel tile, metal & flat built up roofs jobs with the name address and phone number throughout Broward and Palm Beach County that have this verification capability.

FACT:

The other Elastomeric manufacturers listed sell water barrier systems and products meaning not truly waterproof or weatherproof. Conversely real waterproof products are 100% resin, no clay or water is added. Real weatherproof products and systems have an additional hard coating proven tested to strengthen the exiting roof system by being all points monolithic and seamless. The typical Elastomeric softer top coatings cannot be left in standing water for prolonged periods without saturation accruing. Elastomeric are generally known as water barriers (or expensive roof painting jobs as we refer to them) require more maintenance such as recoating every 3 to 5 years, If not properly maintained will fail completely. Weatherproof products require little or no maintenance for 10 years or more. Make sure that anyone making high performance claims can prove it is really a waterproof or a weatherproof system or product to begin with. Do you know what a real system warrantee looks like? First of all it should be renewable & transferable to another owner if that time comes. It should say two words: LEAK FREE for years. The manufacturer & contractor must also state GUARANTEE with the exact same language otherwise good luck, another words one could simply blame the other for failure of their system or product. Always get a copy of the warrantee and data sheet of the products being used and determine if they are both on it or not.

NOTE:

"It is not just painting your roof white" Make sure your roof is measured correctly, and documented in your contract and warranty, If it is not it could be a costly mistake for all concerned. Remember the formula: 100 sq. ft. per gallon per coat. Minimum. If the products are not all resin acrylic or Dade County approved we wouldn't suggest you use them in any case. Roofprotect is applied at 90 sq. ft. per gallon per coat and does not have to be painted. It is a finished product gloss resin all the way through. Water cannot pass through once our formula is cured For the complete Roof Shield System we apply our proprietary hard coat before the Roofprotect coating to make the tile roof completely seamless and wind resistant.

Be careful that it is not a competitor using caulk between the joints, or white Portland. Is the suggested contractor's system presented have proven testing in real weathering conditions in the field documented of 7 years or more? Make sure it has an accompanying roof tile attachment strength test proving its wind resistance? Up-Lift Test Video

I have included above disclosed information that should be helpful in making an informed decision about the specific nature of the type of work you are considering to be undertaken and what should be expected.

Respectfully yours, Anthony R. Meurer President, All Surface Restorations & Preservations Inc,

[...]

TheRoof Store.net

Match the color paint only the tiles replace

Reply to
Ronald DeLuise

This is an old thread but the issue continues to be valid. Maybe the new roofs that fly away with a couple of storms don't need any treatment but for the few old Florida style flat concrete tile I think is needed. My house still has the original roof from the early 50's and as long as I can hold the insurance companies from asking a new roof I'll keep getting my behind up there with the very long hose of the pressure washer and a couple of 5gallon buckets of elastomeric sealer. Takes an old fart 4-5 days to do the pressure washing and about 2-3 days to roll the white stuff. The product seems to last about 5-6 years, but the roof gets a bit dirty within 2 years, for that we do a light pressure wash, by the 3rd cleaning (6 years) you can tell the product is fried so the cleaning becomes more detailed and is followed by a fresh coat of the best elastomeric product at the local Lowes. We have the house for a couple of decades but the house is almost 70 years old with its original roof without a leak ever. I'm actually scare of removing this roof and braking the magic.

Reply to
ana