Waterproofing a concrete floor.

Can anyone recommend a coating to waterproof a concrete floor that is leaking downstairs from some hairline cracks when it rains? I am looking for something that can be walked on afterwards. I have seen some thick rubberized coatings in the past but never thought to ask what the product was.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Does "downstairs" mean a basement? If so, consider grading on the outside, so water flows out and away from the home. Then put the band-aid on. Really, find the source of moisture, first.

Reply to
Oren

Clean, Dig out and repair the cracks and repair the cause of it instead of hiding the problem. UGL works on walls but ive needed 7 coats on bad walls. Floors I know of nothing myself that wont cause other problems.

Reply to
ransley

Since you said floor, not walls, that would explain why this thread is so quiet. It sounds like you have a water table problem. If so, and if you somehow manage to plug the cracks in the floor, the leak will simply move to the hairline crack around the edges, where the slab meets the walls. You could: 1) raise the entire house and pour a new floor, or 2) bust out the entire floor, install a rubber bladder, repour the floor. Not what you wanted to hear? Sorry.

;-{

Reply to
uncle K

You're fighting a loosing battle by the time you get to the inside of a concrete floor. You need to start outside and try to get the water away from the house. Gutters, grading, french drains, extending the gutter drains further from the house.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The important question is why the water intrudes when it rains. You won't get a good answer unless you provide more detail...how long has this occurred? Are you new in this home? Extremely heavy rain, or just "normal"? How does the property slope and is it lower than surrounding properties? Downspouts drain where in relation to the leaks? Are the leaks just "wet" or do you get puddles? Getting heavy rain when the ground is frozen might also cause abnormal conditions.

Around our condo, even though the ground slopes away from the building, long-term landscaping practices cause gullies to form around the building that kept water from running off...edging along the building to keep grass away made gullies and lack of gutters made runoff from the roof worsen the gullies.

Downspouts draining too close, or improper grading around the house may be the cause.

Reply to
norminn