waterproof wire

Page 1 of 3
i am looking for a type of wire that can withstand constant contact with water. the wire cannot have a jacket on it. thanks for any help.
I don't quite understand the question. If you want an insulation rated for wet locations, pretty much anything with a W in its letters like TW, THW, THWN, etc. If you want a metal that won't oxidize under water, gold works fine.

Yeah, but that thin stuff has a plastic jacket.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
m Ransley wrote:

Sounds like you aren't talking something that will conduct electricity. In that case you are probably looking for something stainless steel.

Mark wrote:

i would like it to conduct electricity. shorting out is part of the design.

Now it's getting scarey. Hope you don't ask if chlorinated water will affect it.

Do you want to carry electricity or imprison fish?
What are you tryign to do?

OP is "Matt" of this thread......
water level of pipe
From:        Matt - view profile Date:        Fri, Sep 15 2006 9:36 pm
Groups:         alt.home.repair
i need to measure the water level in a 1/2 " pipe that is buried in the ground. the water is 100 - 150 feet down. i do not want to use an electronic tape. any ideas?
IMO he is not giving enough information about what he is trying to do to get useful help from this group
OP there are whole companys that specialze in instruments for measuring all sorts of stuff
why re-invent the wheel?
http://www.davis.com/index.asp http://www.omega.com /
or Google water level measuring
by the time you're done messing around with home brew solutions you will have spent enough time & energy to have bought an engineered "off the shelf" solution
cheers Bob

This thread is getting weird.

And any wire is waterproof. I've never seen any dissolve in water or soak up water.
Gold or platinum.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Matt writes:

Nickel-chromium (Nichrome).
Richard J Kinch wrote:

thanks. what would happen if i let copper wire sit around in water conducting electricity?

If you let any sort of uninsulated wire "sit around in water conducting electricity" then anyone coming in contact with the water is at risk of electric shock, possibly a fatal shock.
--
Regards,

Bulk fish-fry?
Matt writes:

Describe the water, wire geometry, and voltage and current source.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

OK. i would like to use a pair of wires for detecting the level of water in a pipe. I want to place resistors every inch and as the water fluctuates it will short out the resistors. I can then read the voltage to determine the resistance and then the distance of the water. My source is a 3 volt DC.
I"m having a hard time put this into words. But some how I don't think that will work. The current flow with the water level over a resistor or under it would be about the same. Since the current is flowing from wire to wire. I doubt your project will work.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.