Waterlogged Pressure Tank- Update

I emptied the tank today and the pressure was 0 as many of you had expected. Since the tank had been in place since 1977, I replaced it, assuming this was no small bladder leak that could be "nursed." Everything works perfectly now. The old tank was a 20 gallon tank, and I replaced it with an identical Well-X-Trol. The tank has a drawdown of about 5 gals at 30-50 psi range. Obviously I didn't have to deal with the repressurization issue. I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!! Have you ever heard of such a thing????? Frank P.S. I have a stubborn drip at one of the fittings on the brass "tank T." I will plan to disconnect and re-tape. Anything I can do to make sure it won't happen a second time?

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and piss off) their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and want to buy a can of peas.
I know this used to be the case at Webb, Grainger and others but many branches seem to have long since relaxed this policy. This seemed to have nothing to do with not wanting me as a customer- they would sell me anything else but the tank! Also the *same* store had no problem setting up an order for me for a tank 2 days earlier! (I called to change the tank size and talked to a different guy today.) Plus two other stores never mentioned the restriction and either one would have sold me willingly. And the price quotes were extremely friendly.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:33:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I see I am listed on the Webb receipt as a "preferred customer." By the way, the branch that wouldn't sell me the tank quoted me $18 for the same item that another branch (the one where I bought the tank) quoted me $10 for!

If it's brass on brass, do yourself a favor and get some plain old pipe dope, and put a little on the threads. It is not a sealant, but a lubricant, and it will let you tighten more, with less effort. trust me, your welcome
After you put the teflon tape on. Coat the external threads with Rectorseal #5. Then, reassemble.
Please do not put Rectorseal into an internal fitting.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus