Waterlogged Pressure Tank- Update

I emptied the tank today and the pressure was 0 as many of you had expected. Since the tank had been in place since 1977, I replaced it, assuming this was no small bladder leak that could be "nursed." Everything works perfectly now. The old tank was a 20 gallon tank, and I replaced it with an identical Well-X-Trol. The tank has a drawdown of about 5 gals at 30-50 psi range. Obviously I didn't have to deal with the repressurization issue. I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!! Have you ever heard of such a thing????? Frank P.S. I have a stubborn drip at one of the fittings on the brass "tank T." I will plan to disconnect and re-tape. Anything I can do to make sure it won't happen a second time?

Reply to
frank1492

"frank1492" wrote

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and piss off) their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and want to buy a can of peas.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's brass on brass, do yourself a favor and get some plain old pipe dope, and put a little on the threads. It is not a sealant, but a lubricant, and it will let you tighten more, with less effort. trust me, your welcome

Reply to
nefletch

I know this used to be the case at Webb, Grainger and others but many branches seem to have long since relaxed this policy. This seemed to have nothing to do with not wanting me as a customer- they would sell me anything else but the tank! Also the *same* store had no problem setting up an order for me for a tank 2 days earlier! (I called to change the tank size and talked to a different guy today.) Plus two other stores never mentioned the restriction and either one would have sold me willingly. And the price quotes were extremely friendly.

Reply to
frank1492

I see I am listed on the Webb receipt as a "preferred customer." By the way, the branch that wouldn't sell me the tank quoted me $18 for the same item that another branch (the one where I bought the tank) quoted me $10 for!

Reply to
frank1492

After you put the teflon tape on. Coat the external threads with Rectorseal #5. Then, reassemble.

Please do not put Rectorseal into an internal fitting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can a reading from gage but on top tank with tire gage it says 30 psi and I can't get water to come out the faucet on tank no house water anywhere

Reply to
kathy

I had a problem similar to yours a few weeks back. The gauge on the pressure tank was about 60 psi in my case. Open a spicket with the well pump breaker cut off and water comes out for only about 2 or 3 seconds.

When the tank was replaced it had a lot of water in it and was very heavy. Nothing would come out the bottom of the tank where the water line is hooked to it. A nice big one or more inch hole for the pipe.

We took out the valve stem at the top of the tank that was laying on its side and it shot a stream of water out about 20 or 30 feet for about 30 seconds it seemed.

We think the water got over the bladder in the tank and when we took the tank loose the rubber sealed over the hole in the tank so nothing would come out of the bottom.

If you hold down the steam on the top of the tank valve and let all the pressure off and have the well pump turned on water will soon come out of it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Mon, 24 May 2021 18:31:16 +0000, kathy posted for all of us to digest...

Is your well pump running? Breaker on? No valves turned off?

Reply to
Tekkie©