WaterBoss Water Softner

Anybody have any feedback on the WaterBoss. Thinkin bout it or regular size GE

Reply to
Ron

I've been using a WaterBoss Pro Series 93 for several years. No major complaints so far. My water is at 38 grains hardness with plenty of iron. The softener is capable of 75 grains. It uses very little salt and water per regeneration. Keeps tract of water usage and regenerates when necessary. Internal 15 micron filter does a good job at filtering the water and it self cleans during each regeneration. Since it's self contained it takes up very little space...looks kind of like an oversized bread maker. It only holds 110 lbs of salt but it lasts quite a long time since it only uses 3.8 lbs and 15 gallons of water per regeneration. Regenertion time is 26 minutes. For serious iron problems the salt usage and back flush times can be reprogrammed from the factory defaults for much longer intervals and more salt usage. It's easy to take the mechanical sections apart to clean or repair. I had a pretty bad build up in the impeller section after replacing my well pump. The piston got jammed and I ended up cracking it trying to get it out. I called WaterBoss and they had the part at my front door in 2 days. The customer service is great, they are very knowledgeable about the products they sell.

When I bought my house it had a huge 2 tank Culligan system with a mechanical timer. It took up a lot of space and used a ton of salt and water as regeneration took forever. I hauled it out to the curb for the garbage man. I personally would never go back to a system like that.

George

Reply to
vairxpert

just sold my home with one installed. I used potassium instead of salt. Ran it on 13 grains and it made a huge difference. New home does not have one and I need to finger that out as soon as the boxes are put away.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Sligo

"Ron" wrote

GE is not the same as the WaterBoss; two different animals; like elephants and cheetahs. WaterBoss has a two compartment media tank with a vacuum packed resin bed in a proprietary and very different media tank. And IIRC, they use fine mesh resin. I caution using the WB on heavy iron content waters. IMO, George is lucky that his is working as long as it has; but note the turbine problem? A problem with most electronic metered control valves used on heavy iron.. The other brand or its sisters (Sears, Morton, WalMart NorthStar etc.) should not be used on heavy iron and will not last, as any of their (GE) honest dealers will tell you. They actually are under instructions to inform prospective customers of that fact.

As to the WB and its stingy use of water and salt.... it takes 15# of salt to regenerate one cubic foot of regular resin. Less for fine mesh and SST-60 resins but... to regenerate a softener that has the resin bed totally exhausted, you have to use the full amount of salt that will do that for the resin being used. Say 12# for fine mesh, so the little salt used in the vacuum.packed WB, you'll load the resin with rust and iron on heavy iron water and you can't expand the bed due to the dual compartment tank. The resin should fail without resin cleaners and full salt dosage some time in the future. Any resin manufacturer will confirm this. Maybe even WB themselves....

The best heavy iron resin is SST-60, and it has better salt efficiency than other resins.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser