Water well treatment question

We just moved into a home in the country that has a water well. The water has enough sulphur in it to be offensive. The well man installed a chlorination system that eliminates most(but not all of the smell). I have heard that aeriation is the best method of eliminating the smell. It is much more costly($1000+ because it requires the installation of a separate tank).
I am wondering if it is possible to simply use the well as the aeriation tank and install an air pump that will discharge air close to the bottom of the well(but above the water pump). Wouldn't the air bubble to the top of the water column(in my case about 400 ft.) and remove most of the smell?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I was under the impression that aeration tanks actually spray the liquid in the air, and remove the sulfur that way. Bubbling air would work, but be a lot slower I think.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

Folks around here have this problem.
The cheapest solution for many of them is to have a vented tank that all water from the well goes into. The tank is large enough and the inlet, outlets are positioned such that water stays in the tank for several days before being drawn into the house with a second pump. This gives time for the sulfur to bubble out, dramatically improving the taste without the added expense of a fountain pump and the elevated evaporation losses.