Water usage

Hi, Our condo association has a Fleck 9500 twin tank water softener that is being used in the water supply for our eleven condo units. It has

1.5" input and output connections. Recently, I began to wonder how much water we use in a given month. Since the water is supplied by 2 water wells on the property, there is no water meter to read. However, the Fleck has a meter that controls when it is time to recharge. The meter has no face but instead turns a cable that turns the gears inside the softener control. I added a magnet to the meter shaft and a small reed switch nearby such that I can remotely tell when the meter output shaft has completed one full revolution. My question is how many gallons does one full revolution equal? The manual says nothing about that. I have searched on the internet, but haven't found an answer. If I watch the dial inside the softener cover, it seems to move around 1600 gallons per revolution. I did some more googling and found some Fleck equipment specs mention 1550 as a minimum number of gallons between recharging for some of their softeners. Could that be the number of gallons coresponding to one revolution of the meter? Can any of you familiar with these things confirm that?

Thanks, Pat

Reply to
greenpjs

snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote: ...

... No clue, never seen one; don't want to... :)

Did you contact manufacturer directly?

--

Reply to
dpb

Use enough water to get shaft to revolve once?

Reply to
hallerb

That sounds easy, but we are talking 1500 or 1600 gallons of water. I would need to fill a gallon bucket 1500 times and dump it down the drain. And, no one else could use water while I was doing it. Somebody must know how these things work. ...Pat

Reply to
greenpjs

Watch for a half revolution and you only have to fill 800 times.

Is this a curiosity thing or do you need to monitor water use? You can buy a meter for a couple hundred bucks and be accurate if it is something the association can use for something.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Does the softener have a sticker label attached from the installer?

The resident softener expert hasn't been around since late last year.

Off the top of my head - figure 75 gallons per day, per person?

Reply to
Oren

Curiosity

Reply to
greenpjs

That's just about right. The meter does one revolution in a little more than a day. There are about 18 people using the water, so your estimate predicts 1350 gallons. So, 1550 or 1600 is about right. I just would like to know which it is. Thanks.

Reply to
greenpjs