water stain in rug, how to clean?

Hi...

We had a living room rug that a cat puked on (a small bile stain about 3-4 inches in diameter). We tried cleaning it with Nature's Miracle and Woolite Rug cleaner; the stain got a bit lighter but grew to about 8 inches. We tried successive cleanings with Resolve and other cleaners and the circle just kept getting bigger. Finally we dragged it out on the porch and washed it with soap and water.

While the core of the stain is lighter, there seems to be a ring of water stain growing outwards with successive washings. Any good suggestions how to get the water stain ring out?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

It sounds as if it is an area rug. If it is valuable it may be worth it to have it professionally cleaned by a company that specializes in cleaning valuable rugs.

They will be able to tell you what can be done about the stain or not. These companies can use chemicals and processes not available to a homewoner. If the rug is not worth the cost of a professional cleaning then throw it away. What did you pay for the rug?

Reply to
Lawrence

I agree with Lawrence. If you want to try one more thing, try club soda. Not the half-full bottle that's been in the refrigerator since Thanksgiving, but a fresh bottle. It might take a couple of big bottles to thoroughly saturate the area. Soak it, wait a few minutes, then put a clean towel on the area and walk on it with CLEAN FEET to blot up as much liquid as possible.

And, tell that cat to stop acting like a dog.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The rug's not worth much and at the end of it's life. The difference is if I can clean it, I can donate it to a cause that might use it as opposed to landfill.

I'll try the club soda part (since there's nothing left to lose :)). Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you ever tried to tell a cat anything? :)

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

You have to learn to give the cat THE LOOK. They understand THE LOOK.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OxyClean is very good at removing stains. In a quart container put

1/4 cup hot water, mix in a tablespoon of OxyClean, and apply the hot solution to the stain. If this lightens the stain but does not remove the stain, repeat. Caution: Be aware that OxyClean can remove color from fabrics, although I have not seen this happen.
Reply to
Phisherman

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:d2%di.10724$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

You certainly do know cats Joe...