Water sputtering and hissing from all upstairs water outlets

I have a 2 story home with an upstairs bathroom. Every water outlet (sink, bathtub, toilet) in this bathroom sputters and hisses when the water is turned on. After a few seconds (20 - 30) it gets better but continues to do it occasionally during use. The downstairs bathroom does sputter occasionally, maybe once a month or so) but not often. I haven't heard any "hammering" in the pipes. It would appear to be air in the pipes but how does it get there? and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
emcconne

If the service pressure drops momentarily, air will be sucked in at the highest level. Then sputter out on the next use.

If this is a well pump, useage may draw pressure down enough to cause it.

If city water, could be pressure drops at night or during maintenance, or insufficient mains pressure/flow.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

My guess is that it is air trapped in the water. If you are on a well, you may have a slight leak before the pump. Also it is possible to just have air in the water naturally. It could also be methane gas if you are on a well. When the water sits in the pipes unused, the air seeks the highest point of your system, the upstairs. Check with a plumber, if all else fails you maybe able to get a air bleed installed simular to what is used on boiler heating systems. Greg

Reply to
Greg O