water softner and brine

Getting a water softner installed and I am concerned about disposing of the brine into the septic. What are your "experience" with this brine in septic setup??? How about disposing of it elsewhere? what to do with it? in the dich?

Reply to
boubou

Do you mean the effluent after recharging the softener? If so, it isn't brine, it is a calcium compound. I just let mine run out on the ground.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
boubou

Putting it on the ground is not a good idea, that pollutes the groundwater and usually that should be considered as illegal in most areas.

The best place is in the septic, although a small number of places have a ban against that. The EPA has done research on this twice and it shows no harm:

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser

How is that polluting groundwater? You can drink the discharge from a water softner.

Reply to
Adiabatic

And if you run it on the ground or in the ditch it will kill grass and anything else growing there.

Reply to
MoM

Especially if you have a dual-chamber septic, which most are, you can use the septic. Plumb it into where the sinks go, not whre the toilet goes.

HTH, Pop

Reply to
Pop

Yes and you can also drink any other type of liquid. But that doesn't mean there's no problem with doing so. All I'm telling you is that in most areas softener discharge onto/into the ground is considered as pollutting the groundwater. I don't write the laws... I do know that no one should want to increase the sodium and chlorides in their well water; that is a real concern with softener discharge getting into the groundwater/recovery water to a/their well.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser

You are missing the point, it's not contaminated water. If it goes into a septic tank it doesn't magically dissapear there, It soaks into the ground. Whats the difference?

Reply to
Adiabatic

Chemical reaction in the septic system, containment of solids.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The difference is that there is a minimum distance between the drain field of an on-site septic system and the well on the same property and from the property lines so as to allow a minimum distance to neighbors' wells. Although I agree with you, that the sodium, chlorides etc. don't settle out in the septic tank, the law in the vast majority of areas says no to putting it on or in the ground; dry well or not.