Water Softer Salt

The discharge from water softner is killing the grass in my yard. Is there anything else I can use besides the bags of salt?

Are you in the city or country? If you are in the city, put the discharge down the drain. Let the city process it. If you have a septic system, the salt can be bad for the drain field over time. The discharge water comes from back-flushing the water softener. Anything that is neutralized will go out with the back-flush, so I assume that those things are considered harmful if you are trying to keep them out of your water. You might want to collect the back flush and let if evaporate, or dump it on gravel away from the lawn & trees. If you have a holding tank, it should be OK to let it run down the drain.
-john-
John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com

I got an EPA report a while back, via UMich, I think, that said the softener regen is not harmful to a properly functioning septic system and in some soil situations can actually be helpful.
If you can't find it with google I can probably dig it up...
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------_------
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, snipped-for-privacy@dtcc.edu (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |
snipped-for-privacy@hobbes.dtcc.edu (Bob Rahe) wrote:

I would like a copy of that also, if its not a hassle....

I think this is it:
http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/Pubs/625R00008/html/fs3.htm
--
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, snipped-for-privacy@dtcc.edu (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |
snipped-for-privacy@hobbes.dtcc.edu (Bob Rahe) wrote:

Updated to reflect a new URL:
<http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/pubs/625r00008/html/fs3.htm>
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars