water softeners in the UK

My daughter lives in the London area, and is interested in a water softener. They have visited with a salesman from a company called Harvey water softeners. They live in a typical masonette<s>, so it would have to be a very small one that goes under the kitchen sink (or next to it). Anyone have good/bad reviews? thank you in advance
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:59 -0700, nefletch wrote:

Throw a post out to uk.d-i-y, someone will be able to help.
I lived in the UK most of my life and we had some kind of under-sink softner at one house, but unfortunately I don't recall the model now (and that was years ago anyway). I never saw those huge water-heater-sized softners until I moved to the US.
cheers
Jules
Harry, our resident troll, can use this moment to prove he's helpful in some instance.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:57:59 -0700, nefletch wrote:

Throw a post out to uk.d-i-y, someone will be able to help.
I lived in the UK most of my life and we had some kind of under-sink softner at one house, but unfortunately I don't recall the model now (and that was years ago anyway). I never saw those huge water-heater-sized softners until I moved to the US.
cheers
Jules

Which is EXCESSIVE. What's wrong with drinking hard water? Here in Waterloo Ontario we use groundwater - quite hard - and I soften the water to the water heater, bath, and kitchen sink. Not the toilets, and not the "drinking water" tap in the kitchen. It has a rainfresh filter on it to take out chlorine etc. That's all. Great tasting water.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hmmm, That is per code when a house has water softener installed. When plumber makes the pipe runs he leaves a loop where softener will be cut in. For drinking water I have a under the sink multi-stage RO system with UV light. It can produce upto ~25 Gal a day.