Water softeners and Septic Tanks

Dave, I hope I'm not taking too much of your time. Now you've got me intrigued. I always was told not to use a water softener in the country (because it messes with the bacteria balance in the septic system). I've met folks who had city water and a septic system; but never knew anyone on a private well with city sewer hook-ups. Are you? My mother-in-law has city water and a septic tank. She would love to use a water softener (mainly for her clothes and dishwasher). But I have always echoed what I heard from septic tank professionals and owners -- that it killed the bacteria in the septic tank causing the recycling process to break down, which results either in raw sewage being flushed from the tank because of excessive water flow or in sewage build-up and blockage, requiring a frequent pumping of the tank (currently her system runs so well that she never has to have it pumped). If you ever need info on a topic, let me know. Respectfully, Andy

proposing,
Dick wrote:

My parents have been running the brine into their septic tank for 45 years with no apparent problems. Evidently the bugs can handle the salt, if that is your worry. Running it into a rainwater system may be contrary to code in some places though I don't imagine it is any worse than salting the roads.
Of course you DO want to keep the discharge away from your well, most septic systems are arranged that way already.
--

FF

Mom has lived there since 1989 and has never had the tank pumped. Except for one time when I had to put the aerorator back in operation and add a white powder to help the bacteria growth it works fine. Your parents really never have had the tank pumped. Wow! Everyone I know who did this ends up pumping their tank every 5 years.

On 20 Mar 2005 07:56:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

==========================I have to agree with you.... I have been using a Water Softner and discharging it into my septic tank for ONLY 30 some odd years...
Never had a problem... and even with 3 Children my septic tank lasted years before it had to be pumped... (Honestly I can only recall having it pumped out twice ...the last time 2-3 years ago...
Bob Griffiths
You don't want to run the brine into your septic. Our water softener drain bypasses the septic and goes into the roof gutter drain system which ends up in the storm swale out by the street. Solves the problem.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:03:24 GMT, "1_Patriotic_Guy"

The street is uphill of my mother-in-law's home, so drainage to the rear is the reasonable option. Will the water softener drainage impact plants and grass? How far away from the home and septic field would you keep it?