Water Softeners

I should have put water softeners and counter tops. My water softener was bought in 2006. By the time I had problems with it - there was a power out age and the timer got messed up - and I just unplugged it and never started it again. That was about a year ago. My area is big on power outages so its an on-going problem. Anyway, another reason I did not bother to hook i t up was that I was already having problems with calcium/lime deposits. I have dark colored Wilsonart standard laminate counter tops and the calcium /lime deposits showed up on them. I have now scrubbed the color off the co unter tops behind the faucets. I even bought a large sheet of the laminate and had someone from Handy Man come out and replace a part of it. That's still o.k. but the other side is bad looking. I have been looking for new counter top material and got new estimates on replacing the entire kitchen counter top area. I do not want to spend money on Silastone or Granite for my cabinets. They are o.k. - got them replaced in 2003...but not that gre at. I am probably going for the Wilsonart Premium laminate. But I am afra id that after I get new ones I will still have the same problem with the ha rd water. (My county changed their recipe for water about two years ago - didn't used to be this bad). A new water softener is expensive -- it would add over a thousand to the total. My current one isn't that old -- but I will need help disconnecting it so I can clean it very well before actually using it again. And the bottom line is - it didn't help that much with th e problem. One of my neighbors does not have a water softener and isn't ha ving any problems. The other neighbor does have one -- he also has Silasto ne counter tops - and no problem with hard water. So -- it's hard to know what to do. Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated.

Reply to
Dottie

I don't know much about hard water , but Nevamar brand plastic laminate has what they call "ARP" surface . It's apparently infused with some kind of metal/oxide , and the surface is very durable - fabricators hate it (I did!) because it's hard on tooling , dulls files quickly . It sounds like you don't have postform tops , a good installer/fabricator can replace the laminate in situ if that's the case .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

are

Get someone that really knows what they are doing to properly set up the softener and move on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dottie,

It would help to know what brand and model softener you have. What do you mean when you write "the timer got messed up"? What color are the stains?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

[...]

I think there is also an issue with how the countertops are being cleaned. I think the word "scrubbed" was used. I would think most any laminate countertop could have mineral deposits from water removed without damaging the finish. Instead of scrubbing, a chemical that will dissolve it, eg vinegar or CLR, rust remover type product.

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

I did use CLR and another brand. Neither did the job. But I have another question to add -- my neighbor pointed out that it is only in the kitchen t hat I am having a problem. The bathrooms are o.k. and the laundry room sin k ... no problem. Is there a chance that there is a small leak under the f aucet that seeps out ... there is no sign of water or leakage in the cabine t below the sink. And I yes I did scrub the heck out of it ... but only as a last resort. I really want to stop this problem before investing in new counter tops.

Reply to
Dottie

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:35:07 AM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:

[...]

If it's a water hardness problem, it would be the first one I've ever heard of where it's localized to one area around the kitchen faucets, which is what you appear to be saying.

Very common for a swivel faucet to leak at the seal, with water leaking out on top of the counter, not underneath.

Reply to
trader_4

Hmm, What brand softener? Setting up the timer is not a rocket science. Reactivate it. If you are unable to do it, get a professional help. How hard is the water? Is the softener mechanical timer based or demand generating electronic control? What is the point replacing the counter top without solving the water hardness problem? Your house plumbing is suffering too with hard water. IMO, the sooner you start using the unit, the better it will be over all. I think you were cleaning the counter top wrong way. Tried CLR?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

[...]

*********** I seem to be the only one having problems with hard water ... my neighbors are not. One of them came over and looked today - and found several places where the sink was not meeting the counter top - no grout. It would allow water to seep out and and perhaps cause stains...and I wasn't aware of it. Anyway, I am not going to start using the water softener yet. Don't think it helped.
Reply to
Dottie

are o.k. - got them replaced in 2003...but not that great. I am probably going for the Wilsonart Premium laminate. But I am afraid that after I get new ones I will still have the same problem with the hard water. (My county changed their recipe for water about two years ago - didn't used to be this bad). A new water softener is expensive -- it would add over a thousand to the total. My current one isn't that old -- but I will need help disconnecting it so I can clean it very well before actually using it again. And the bottom line is - it didn't help that much with the problem. One of my neighbors does not have a water softener and isn't having any problems. The other neighbor does have one -- he also has Silastone counter tops - and no problem with hard water. So -- it's hard to know what to do.

Hi, Softener has to be set up according to your water hardness and your water consumption rate. How hard is your water? How many in the family? Also you have to choose correct capacity(size) softener for your need. Also you should never run out of salt supply. Why spend money if you buy an appliance and neglect it. That seems a waste. Your sink may not be tightened down good or installer forgot to apply grout(your word), sealant under the edge of sink. I feel sorry when some folks don't exercise logical mind.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There are other benefits to using the softener. Better cleaning with less soap and detergents, etc. My guess is you have no clue about them and miss the benefits.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski