Water Softeners

Page 2 of 2

Because the two-piece arrangement holds *MUCH* more salt. And that's the least of the good reasons. Installation can be easier with the resin tank in one location and the brine (salt) tank in another, although they are usually placed side-by-side.
Don't take a chance on a cheapie from the big box stores. Call Culligan.
Tell your wife that she'll absolutely LOVE soft water. I'd get Mrs. MacWidow (my beloved wife) to add her agreement but she'd rather watch VoyeurTV (reality crap) and the 21st century's version of Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour than actually participate in something occasionally useful - like this!
--
:)
JR

I bought from Gary Slusser at: http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com /
He used to be a regular here offering up lots of great (free) advice on repairing and installing softeners. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase, and after 4 years I've had no problems with it, other than forgetting to add salt!

Same here.
When showering, it's obvious when the salt supply is gone.
--
:)
JR

There's a sh*t-load of them for sale on Amazon.

Screw all that. Feed it salt and pay the water bill. Presto! Soft water.

It probably is excessive.
Testimonial mode: ON
Culligan.
http://www.culligan.com
I am not an employee, stock holder or have any other interest in the company. I am just a VERY satisfied customer.
Years ago, our Sears "best" softener crapped-out after only a few years. With a houseful of kids, we didn't have enough spare money with which to buy another softener. I rented one from Culligan.
When we moved to a new home in 1991, we took the equipment along and had it installed in our new place. We shortly purchased the rental unit in place.
It hasn't missed a beat since.
Testimonial mode: OFF
Rent one from your local Culligan dealer. Use it for a few payments, then buy it outright.
--
:)
JR

Walter,
Have you looked in your phone book under water conditioning? I'd be surprised if there are not a number of companies in your area who will install and maintain these devices. Be prepared for a heavy sales pitch. I think Sears puts their softener on sale quite often.
Dave M.

I have sold a lot of equipment using a Fleck control valve, and repaired many but the best control valve is the Clack WS-1. It has the same piston, seal and spacer design as Fleck with many great improvements. I've been selling them for 4.5 years now and out of roughly 1100 sales, I've had only 21 problems. The same number of Fleck valves... I would have expected 10%+ problems by now. The Clack WS-1 is a DIYer's dream to program and repair if needed. It is so simple anyone that can look at he picture in the manual and relate that to the valve and follow simple text and wield a pair of channel lock type pliers can rebuild the whole valve and have their water back on in less than 30 minutes. That was intended in the design.
And based on what I hear from customers of that other web site .... be careful out there.
And many thanks to the guys that mentioned me (especially Josh), except the one that used me to then buy from THEM! lol.
Big box brands are low quality mass produced softeners. They are one piece which makes them very hard to work on and, they can not be made much larger than .7 to 1.2 cubic feet in size. My web site has a lot of info about correctly sizing a softener, get that wrong and the thing will never work consistently.
Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates