Water softener with sulphur-removal cartridge?

Hello all, My brother is building a house near the Outer Banks in NC. The well water has sulphur in it, and he was advised by a softener dealer that there's something available called KDS media which gets rid of sulphur. It's supposed to be a cartridge that fits in the resin tank and removes the sulphur without any external tanks. Is this legitimate? I've been searching the web and haven't been able to find any info. TIA, Nok

Reply to
Dave Edwards

I don't know about that. We used to have sulphur (hydrogen sulfide) and iron, as well as just about every hard mineral imaginable so we had a standard water softener, but also needed an iron/sulphur filter. This was basically a carbon-medium filter. The filter would back-flush once a day to keep it clear and required a hydrogen peroxide tank to disinfect during the back-flush (certain bacteria LOVE iron oxide). Seems like this is what you would want. Here's a helpful site that I found through google. You might want to do some searching for backwashing water filters or GAC (Granulated Activated Carbon) and Centaur (a brand of GAC).

louie

Hate to plug a brand, but we got a Hague Watermax for extremely hard water with iron bacteria and bad smell. Cost around $2500 installed but uses only

50# of salt per month. The guy said this unit can be setup to take care of any kind of water problem.
Reply to
Michael Keefe