Water Softener - Result of Not Adding Salt

Question: With regards to a water softener, would the lack of adding salt to a water softener bin actually result in damage to the entire assembly (i.e. pump). Any good sources where this is addressed? If damage would not occur OR if it would be over a lengthy time (please provide estimate of how long it would take), please advise.
Thanks.
PS: Being sued by landlord for new water softener as he alleges lack of salt damaged entire pump/assembly.
Richard
looks like your hard water can cause even further damage: "Hard water causes two problems: It can cause "scale" to form on the inside of pipes, water heaters, tea kettles and so on. The calcium and magnesium precipitate out of the water and stick to things. The scale doesn't conduct heat well and it also reduces the flow through pipes. Eventually, pipes can become completely clogged. " from: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm

The landlord's claim is likely BS, based on malice, ignorance or greed . Failure to add salt will result in the zeolite becoming loaded with calcium and magnesium. Thereafter it will continue to go through recharge cycles but will not soften the water. When salt is added, the zeolite will be recharged and the water will again be softened. I would condition this comment only if you were on a well with very unusual water.
The only moving part in a water softener is a rotary valve mechanism driven by a small electric motor. There are no pumps.
Water softeners do wear out. Normal life seems to be in the 10 to 20 year range. I am on my third in 40 years. The second softener was repaired twice during it's functioning lifetime. The present GE model failed after 2 years of operation but I was able to get it back in operation by a gimmick fix. Don't know how long that will hold.
SJF
RESgrignoli wrote:

What did your lease agreement say on this issue if anything? Did you receive any specific instructions about the water softener?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Like JM says, if it isnt on the lease its no issue, .
Damaged a pump assembly for what the softener, How old is it, everything wears out, how long a time without salt. How can he prove you didnt use salt. Was it new when you moved in, what about the last tennant that did Not use salt. I dont know softeners or your water, call a local pro and ask, but likely landlord BS.
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:42:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I agree, it's BS.