Water softener resin tank question...

After three water softener companies provided me with quotes of $1300-$1500 to replace my water softener, I decided I could better afford the Home Depot $399 model. My previous water softener had a stand-alone resin tank and each of the guys I had here to provide quotes told me my resin tank was in good condition and they would not recommend replacing it. The resin tank is in the line prior to the new water softener and the GE water softener I bought has its own resin tank built inside. Here's my question: Is the resin tank from the old system hurting me in any way with respect to the operation or effectiveness of my new water softener with its internal resin tank? Thanks to all for any guidance!
Smokey in Wisconsin
Smokey,
The old resin tank is a resistance to flow in your plumbing. Leaving it in line when you install a new softener may decrease your flow and pressure.
Dave M.
Thanks Dave... That's all I need to know. I believe I have noticed a reduced flow coming from the faucets. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out.
Smokey Up here in chilly Wilsconsin

robin slater had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Water-softener-resin-tank-question-90958-.htm :
Robin H Slater ------------------------------------- I have a water softner that I puul out of use and have put in storage. Is there a correct proceedure for storing a water softner?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 337985 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##