Water softener questions

Page 2 of 2

On Sep 12, 9:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

== Perhaps this URL may help in regard to sodium in softened water:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/softwater
==

=Perhaps this URL may help in regard to sodium in softened water:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/softwater
= That's the way I understand it too. If you're on a sodium restricted diet avoid sw.
I don't like the taste either. I have a under the sink ro filter for my drinking but my ice water is still on sw. They taste different to me. A little salty. (We've had our machine serviced. When the seals are out it tastes much saltier.) Right now there is just a hint of salt.
I don't water my plants with sw but I wonder if some actually like the "hint of salt". I know you're not susposed to use it on the yard because the salt builds up.
Jim
thank you everyone for the helpful replies. Someone also contacted me by email claiming the easy water system has worked wonders for them and that they are not affiliated in anyway. So I started googling. Some say no way its a gimmick, others say maybe, and some swear by it. Anyone here have experience with it?
I think getting my water tested will be a good start. I still have concerns about sodium ions, salt or whatever you call it in the drinking water. It may not seem like much but you never know after years of use. Maybe a ro under the sink would work for me but I just bought one of the nice counter top models with a carbon filter.I'm curious to see if the shower filter reduces lime build up over time. Surprisingly I don't think those are a gimmick and feels better on the skin without chlorine. Maybe the water here isn't really that bad its just that I want a very minimal effort on cleaning. I just read another tip that wd-40 does wonders on fiberglass and keeps minerals from attaching. I may try this but be careful not to get on the bottom of the tub.

Wrapping wires around a pipe can't change the mineral composition of the water, IMNSHO. It certainly can't remove dissolved gases. Maybe you should look up "placebo effect" in Google.
All that being said, our home came with a water softener system that probably was neglected. We are originally from an area with great natural water, and really couldn't stomach the slimy showers and swamp taste of the water. Trying to sanitize the softener didn't work, so we removed it. Drinking water is made acceptable with Brita filters (ionexchange and activated carbon in a disposable - expensive - cartridge). The Brita also takes out lead and other things that are objectionable, and has some silver in it as a bacteriostatic (see born with a silver spoon).
As always, YMMV, but watch out for "easy" solutions that don't make scientific sense.
--
Best regards
Han

Why? Soft water might have less sodium/salt than a slice of white bread, made in Georgia.
Is your information source from the Queen?!

We just hooked our drinking water up to the softener. Brand new softeners these days do a far better job at rinsing the salt away then older ones...

Softened water shouldn't hurt vegetation but it is a waste of money. It would be nice for the final rinse but it's overkill to have separate faucets for washing cars and watering the posies.
wrote

That's how mine is set up. We have a car washing spigot and a yard spigot.
Jim