Water Softener Questions

What is the life expectancy of a Water Boss water softener? About two weeks ago we broke an outside water pipe. The plumber came and made a quick fix (it was after 6 p.m. on Friday) and then came back Wed. to hookup water softener and sprinklers. The water softener didn't work right after that. When my husband took it apart to clean out the cobwebs and see what was happening, it started leaking after he put it back together. It is six years old. We are having a discussion over whether we should try ordering some new parts (for where it's leaking) or just get a new one. I must add, we can only guess that the old parts are the reason for the leak. The parts are soft plastic fittings that he thinks have shrunk with age. We still don't know why the water softener was not emptying out the briney water....the original problem and reason for taking it apart to look at it. Anybody with experience working on this? The water softener is 6 years old. Installed Sept.

2000. Thanks.
Reply to
Dorot29701

We have been using a water softener for over 10 years. The only issue we have ever had with this unit is that it took a lightening strike that both fried the controller and a pressure surge that broke the containment on the resin. Replaced the resin, the containment at the end of the downpipe into the resin, replaced the control head, added a POST softener filter, and cleaned up ALL the faucets in the house to purge the spilled resin.

Now you MAY have a cheaper unit than this one, but the fittings here are heavy, robust fittings. I doubt anything could happen to these fittings in 20 years of use.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Reply to
nospambob