Water Softener Question

I have a relatively high concentration of clear water iron in my water supply (well). I have been using a northstar water softener to help mitigate the problem. This has been moderately successfull. The softener model I have indicates that it can remove 5 ppm of iron. Even with the water softener I am still seeing some iron staining, particularly in my bath tub (more so when I run the jacuzzi jets). I just had my water tested with the following results:
Without the softener:
9 grains of hardness 6 ppm iron
With the softener:
4 grains of hardness 1 ppm iron
It is my understanding that even 1 ppm of iron will cause staining. So, I believe that my softener is doing everything it can but is simply overmatched. The question I have is what my next step should be? I have been looking at a more powerful softenere at Sears with will clean out 8ppm of iron and costs about $550. Alternatively, I could look at a more expensive iron filter and use it in conjuction with my current softener. Or, would changing the resin to a "fine mesh" be enough? Also, I currently use the Morton "Iron Free" pelets, without them the problem is even worse. The big problem is that trying any of these methods requires me to shell out a fairly large amount of cash without even knowing if the problem will be resolved. If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Specifically, any recommendations with brands/models would be helpfull.
"Mike Hoffman" <> wrote

I suggest removing the iron before the softener but.. your current softener is more than likely too small for your flow rate. IMO no regular softener is going to treat 6 ppm of iron successfully for very long without problems; especially the big box store brands. I and other independent dealers build some that will but you have to know how to maintain them and do it religiously. And for the money you mention, you can buy much higher quality industry standard nonproprietary equipment which means you can get parts anywhere and at less cost.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualiytywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2

Gary, thanks very much for the response. Is there a way you recommend to "remove the iron before the softener"? And if so, is there a product you recommend? If I go with a softener, I would certainly be willing to consider an independent built system. I checked out your website. Considering my situation, which softener would you recommend? I live in a rural part of south west New York and don't really have many independent dealers locally to work with.
As always your help is appreciated.
"Mike Hoffman" <> wrote

softener
softener is

problems;
build
quality
If the softener is too small, service flow rate wise, I would suggest a special softener built to last while removing all the iron. If you're handy (instead of good looking) and will install and then repair your own unit, I'd be suggesting the most DIYer friendly control valve there is. If the softener were large enough, then I'd need to know the answers to my questions below before I could suggest what type of treatment would be the best.
Yes you can email me with how many people use the water plus any additional daily water use in gal/day for a garage horse etc.. And tell me what size plumbing the softener is installed on and how many bathrooms. Also, how many gpm that tub can flow with both hot and cold water on together. You measure that with both the hot and cold water turned on full flow into a 5 gal bucket in say 12 seconds. Then actually measure the water volume and multiply by 5. Or use whatever time period you can and calculate gpm.
I'd also need to know if there is an oily film on the top of the water in the lest frequently used toilet tank and when flushed, if you wipe the palm of your hand on the side of the tank under the water line if there's any snotty slime of any color. Not just a bit slippery from being wet feeling. And what the bottom of the tank looks like, especially if there is a fluffiness to the sediment.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualiytywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2
I have a simple water softener with just one adjustment.. number 1 to 12 on a dial.. is this how many days between regens? what is optimal? TIA Rob

on
Yes it's the number of days between regenerations but with some control valves you push a pin out and others, you push the pin in. To determine how many days you need a current water analysis and you have to know what volume of resin your softener has. Or the full capacity of the softener. Then go to the sizing chart page on my web site.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualiytywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2
thanks but the link says this:
The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
"

Edit the URL to read "quality", not "qualiyty"

That's because he misspelled it. It should be : www.qualitywaterassociates.com