Water softener, iron reducing bacteria (IRB)

Hello:

I have a gravel well which is around 5 years old. Over time we've been experiencing a buildup of IRB (iron reducing bacteria) everywhere in our plumbing, etc. My main concern is that we have a water softener and I'm sure it's caked inside. Is there anything that is non-toxic that I can put with the softener salt so that it will clean out the resin tank with each regeneration cycle? I found a product called "Boresaver Ultra C" but I don't know if it's safe for a water softener. Somebody recommended "Iron Out", but I don't know if this will work or if it's safe??

I really appreciate all of the feedback on this...

Thank you,

-- Chris

Reply to
szilagyic

No kind of chemical is safe for potable water.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Snipped from web site:

...A resin cleaning compound must be used regularly to protect the resin. The most common resin cleaning compounds contain sodium hydrosulfite or phosphoric acid. Some water softener salt contains a resin cleaner...

Yes, I have used this company with outstanding results.

FAQ Link - (Iron)

Oren

Thank you for the information. I will contact them as I am not sure which one is actually non-toxic. I ended up also reading that citric acid is non-toxic and supposedly works OK for this. Do you recommend something as simple as lemon juice, or should I purchase a commercial citric acid product? I am open for suggestions on the best non-toxic alternative, yet I don't want to harm the resin either.

Thank you again,

-- Chris

Reply to
szilagyic

Resin cleaners may not kill IRB. IRB is a large group of bacteria and to get rid of it you must kill it. Shocking a well with chlorine is at best a temporary fix because the bacteria live in the ground and ground water and will come back in the water.

You should sanitize your softener with a couple cap fulls of non scented regular house hold bleach, poured into a gallon of water and down into the water in the salt tank. Then do a manual regeneration. DO NOT mix with Iron Out or other products like it.

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

I live in Northern Nevada. My well was heavily IRB fouled. I found this product on a whim. Results?

My 780' deep well would put out 50 gallons in three 1.2 minutes then the pump saver would shut it off (sucking air). After the bore saver C, I have unlimited water. I pumped 1500 gallons into my cistern with no issue. This is a fantastic product and easy to use. Get it from Cannon

BG