Water softener for laundry only

I live in an area that gets Lake Michigan water and conventional wisdom typically says the water's pretty 'good' and a softener is unnecessary.

When I visit my suburban mom and drink her softened water, or take a shower, I cannot stand it. It tastes funny, I feel slimy and my hair doesn't seem clean.

That said, I'm becoming a bit of a laundry fanatic and wonder if I'm crazy to start looking for a small softener that would sit directly in front of my washer and laundry tub and handle that water only?

~Hera

Reply to
HeraC

It can be done. You need a small capacity softener plumbed into the line that feeds the washer. Not seeing your plumbing, I can't say how difficult or simple it is. The softener must have access to a drain. While it can do the laundry only, splitting the plumbing behind walls (if it is) can be difficult.

As for the slimy feeling and hair, they are cleaner than ever; honest. You feel slippery because you don't have the mineral residue on your body.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Amen! I would also want it for the line feeding the dishwasher.

Reply to
baker

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:2Gv9d.1636$tc.187@trndny02:

That may be so, but I had a whole house softener for over five years and was really glad when we moved. I never got used to the feeling. It would be great having it for the washing machine and dishwasher, however.

Reply to
baker

For the most part with modern detergents and reasonable water, there is little or nothing to be gained by using a water softener.

Adding one should not be too much of a problem. It will depend mostly on how accessible everything is, plumbing locations etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Art Todesco

Is there a problem with the way laundry is coming out now?

May I suggest a whole house filter, on the cold water feed to the washer? It solves half (cold water) of the problem easily.

Reply to
John Hines

Good point. I did not think of it, A second heater for just the washer would seem like a bit of overkill. However with just the cold and using a cold rinse, that should help. It will also help the wash cycle some when using warm water.

Still I doubt it it will be worth the effort.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

We used to live in the country, we collected rain water in the cistern, and my wife hated to wash her hair in it. We started showering at a friend's house that had that 'awful' city water.

Recently, when we got a visit from the RainSoft rep, I declined for several reasons.

suggest you look at this site before you take the step.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I find the opposite to be true, never feeling clean with the scum from the hard water.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Nice to know I'm not alone in disliking the feel and taste of soft water. I think I'm going to forget about it forever and just be properly appreciative of Lake Michigan. :)

About a year ago we invested in a high-efficiency front-loading washer and I just love it. It motivated me to take a much closer look at how I'm handling water temps, soaking, detergents, additives, etc., hence the interest in softened water. However, since I'm washing in primarily warm/hot water, albeit profile-washing, the softener would indeed be a waste as there's no way I'd invest in a second hot water heater.

Truthfully, it's taken me a while, but I'm pretty happy with my laundry right now and think I need to stay away from the laundry boards!

Hera

Reply to
HeraC