Water Softener effluent...harmful or not?

I am planning on running a pipe from my sump pump pit to daylight behind my house. The water softener (approx. 9 years old) effluent discharges into my sump pit and hence would be occasionally dispensed along with the water normally accumulating in the pit onto a certain area behind my house (where the pipe ultimately daylights).

Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this effluent might have on grass in the area? I have read some recent literature that water softener effluent is not the scourge on septic systems as the original axiom suggested and may, in fact, be beneficial for septic systems. I have not found any information, however, relative to the impact of effluent (especially when it is a portion of the total outflow) to plant life.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding,

--Howie

Reply to
Howie

Few years back, i cleaned my salt holding tank after 15 years of operation. I dumped the salt brian in the back yard, from the tank and then took my garden hose to desperse it. Bad mistake! Killed all the vegetation in the area for 4 years!

I have a septic tank, and it does not have any effect on it, if fact the system works well! My 2 cents worth!

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Yes, it will kill the grass

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Would a switch to potassium chloride "salt" remove the portion of the effluent that doesn't relate well to the grass?

--Howie

Reply to
Howie

Hi, No brainer! Salt is bad for vegetation. It'll kill them by dehydration. Even may kill good beneficial bacteria for septic system.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No. The first element (sodium/potassium) winds up in what you drink. The second element (chloride) winds up in the discharge as calcium chloride.

Reply to
dadiOH