Water Softener effluent...harmful or not?

I am planning on running a pipe from my sump pump pit to daylight behind my house. The water softener (approx. 9 years old) effluent discharges into my sump pit and hence would be occasionally dispensed along with the water normally accumulating in the pit onto a certain area behind my house (where the pipe ultimately daylights).
Should I be concerned about the potential harmful effects this effluent might have on grass in the area? I have read some recent literature that water softener effluent is not the scourge on septic systems as the original axiom suggested and may, in fact, be beneficial for septic systems. I have not found any information, however, relative to the impact of effluent (especially when it is a portion of the total outflow) to plant life.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding, --Howie
Few years back, i cleaned my salt holding tank after 15 years of operation. I dumped the salt brian in the back yard, from the tank and then took my garden hose to desperse it. Bad mistake! Killed all the vegetation in the area for 4 years!
I have a septic tank, and it does not have any effect on it, if fact the system works well! My 2 cents worth!

Yes, it will kill the grass

Would a switch to potassium chloride "salt" remove the portion of the effluent that doesn't relate well to the grass? --Howie
Howie wrote:

No. The first element (sodium/potassium) winds up in what you drink. The second element (chloride) winds up in the discharge as calcium chloride.
--

dadiOH
Howie wrote:

No brainer! Salt is bad for vegetation. It'll kill them by dehydration. Even may kill good beneficial bacteria for septic system.