Water softener control valve leaks

I have a gear-driven control valve on my water softener. I am not sure of the model but the only sticker on the valve (on the bottom of the plate under the valves) says "brookfield, WI" along with the patent information.

My problem is that the valve leaks where a vertical metal rod comes out of a plastic 'volcano' shaped bushing. THe rod runs vertical and attaches with a screw that runs through a 1/2" slot on it's triangular metal plate (on the top of the rod) to the back of the large center gear (On the front of this gear are the time labels to set the time of day for regeneration).

Do I have to replace the entire control valve (it is only a year old) or can it be fixed?

Reply to
lowcountryhomes

You have a Fleck 5600 control valve. Go to

and download the 5600 Econominder or time clock version service manual. Match the face of your control to the pictures.

The leak is probably the piston stem o-ring in the end cap or the Teflon coating is worn on the piston stem. I or other dealers sell the parts.

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser