Water Softener and Water Pressure

I'm looking into getting a water softener for our house. We have recurring problems with staining and deposits in the showers, toilets, etc. I had the local Culligan dealer install a demo unit just to see what the soft water would be like. So far, it seems like it may be an improvement, and the family seems to like it. But, the water pressure is reduced by the unit. The pressure seems to be slightly lower when only one faucet is turned on. However, it is drastically lower if a couple of faucets are running. Is this expected from a water softener? Or is it related to this being a "demo" unit? While I've decided I need a softener, I haven't settled on Culligan yet.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

There is some restriction in the flow and that translates to lower pressure when water is being used. I imagine you can get the head loss per GPM for most softeners.

Reply to
Greg

Go to Sears and check theirs out. I replaced my Culligan with a Sears unit. Cheaper in initial cost and salt usage, and with a better warrantee.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Do not drink soft water. Not at all good for ya over time. Unless you have an reverse osmosis machine for drinking water you might consider an whole house filter and soft on the hot only.

I had staining problems and used an whole house filter outside. Changed the filter every 6 months.

Reply to
SQLit