Water softener and soap in shower

Page 2 of 2
On 09/02/06 10:59 am Eddie G wrote:

When my brother-in-law installed a water softener, he installed a reverse osmosis unit after it to remove the sodium. I simply took the feeds for the irrigation system, the outside hose bibs, the drinking-water spigot and the ice-maker from ahead of the water softener.
Perce

I'll have to see if she buys into that one :-)
Eddie G wrote:

As another poster said, the soap is coming off. More or less. However, you aren't feeling clean skin, you feel the sodium carbonate in the water that was left after the ion exchange between NaCl (salt) and CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). It is a base and bases generally feel slick because of their reaction with the oils in your skin. With strong bases, that reaction yields soap and glycerin, no idea what the sodium carbonate is doing. Maybe the same thing.
Soft water that is not artificially softened doesn't give that slick, slimy feeling.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH writes:

Try washing your hands with a jug of distilled water, which is utterly soft.
How does that compare to your "softened" water?
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Comparing essentially deionized water to softened only water is not a fair comparison. The TDS and other things in softened only water changes the 'feel' of the water. The same applies to RO water.
Gary Quality Water Assciates
Gary Slusser writes:

It would prove or disprove the factoid in question, that the slipperiness is due to the *absence* of anything but skin and water.

The slipperiness of water softened by ion exchange is due to the presence of sodium ions. Rainwater doesn't feel slippery. Neither does steam-distilled water.
--
Regards,
On 09/04/06 09:41 am Doug Miller wrote:

I remember rainwater from the old farm back in the UK when I was a child before we had a piped water supply. It *did* feel slippery. And I just tried washing my hands with distilled water; it *did* leave them feeling slippery.
Perce
Last year I moved into a house with a water softener. I got used to the slick feeling fairly quickly and like the way it leaves my hair and skin (soft). The thing I really like about softened water, though, is the way it leaves my tub, shower, sinks, and laundry! I can use half the laundry soap, yet the clothes are cleaner, and it's much easier to clean the tub, glass shower doors, sinks, and fixtures.
I have an unsoftened water line to the kitchen sink. I drink that to avoid the taste of softened water (although lots of people don't mind it), and I fill my indoor watering can from that. I have an unsoftened line to the back yard spigot, too; I'm not sure if it would hurt the plants, but I don't see any reason to pay for soft water for them.
Jo Ann
Eddie G wrote:

Good ! People should avoid drinking softened water. It contains too much residual sodium.
The most economical way to plumb the softener, is to have it feed your hot-water heater. That way you use softened water for washing.
<rj>

Soft water has a slippery feel and opposed to hard water. Actually, rinsing with soft water will wash away the soap better than hard water. Soap brands make little difference.