water soaked hardwood floor

I kept one of my plants in the hardwood floor area and forgot to place the plate at the bottom. After 2 weeks I realised my floor was soaked with water and there were black stains on the floor? Is there any remedy for it that I can do myself instead of hiring contractors? I am very inexperienced in handy work, so please give me thorough instructions to follow through. Your help will be highly appreciated.
sonia wrote:

Removing that stain and refinishing the floor is not something a novice with no experience can do!. I also would ant to know that any contractor would know what he was doing.. Experience and knowing what and how to use is a heap big factor here. When you get the cost you might want to just cover the spot and live with it. Jack
sonia wrote:

Try rust remover on a small spot. Doubtful anything but sanding will take it out.
sonia wrote:

Perhaps you can read my post about treating hardwood decks or floors , made a while back. I used Oxiclean. Try a couple teaspoons in a quart. Lighty wipe the floor and let dry. Reapply as needed. This may leave some kind of spot in this area. First try wetting just the spot and see if that works.
zek wrote:

Let me know how this worked for you.
sonia wrote:

move the plant
let it dry for quite some time
sand the finish off and around it a fair bit
sand till most of the stain is gone, it won't all go away
bleach the area that is still stained
don't sand after bleaching, or you will have to do it again
Check Wood Bleach labels in paint stores and fins one with Oxalic Acid as only ingredient listed. Counteracts the dark stain in oak and other woods with tannins reacting to metal in water.