Water smells like the public pool

I've noticed recently that the water coming out of my bathtub faucets smells like the public pool - CHLORINE! Normally it tastes, smells, and looks like water, past week it tastes, smells, and looks like a bottle of bleach. Does the city shock water lines occasionally? Would recent work in the area (new construction and whatnot) cause this temporarily? I haven't seen my neihbors lately otherwise I'd ask him - he works for the city water department (for an adjacent city, but I suspect he'd know anyway).
The EPA does indeed require public water suppliers to switch to chlorine one month per year. It used to be used all of the time but the EPA is also concerned about carcinogens formed by the use of chlorine.

Our local water works will shock the system with a massive dose of chlorine especially during the hot summer months where sometimes the water will take on a "rotten fish" type of smell if they are late or skip the shock treatment.

Just call the water company. They'll probably glady fill you in so you understand.
Eigenvector wrote:.

Al Bundy wrote:

Agreed. You'd be surprised what the water company does and does not have to do (or can get away with) and still fall within acceptable limits for potable water.
In Baltimore (where I used to live) the City would pump the water out of Loch Raven or Liberty Reservoirs (and occasionally the Susquehanna River), treat it, and store it in various small reservoirs around the city, from which it would be pumped to the consumers. If the water was too polluted with bird poop and the like, they would dump some chlorine in it and they were good to go as far as the water standards are concerned.
Ugh. Drinking chlorinated bird poop. And we wonder why people buy Fiji bottled water...