Water shutting off

Our water has been shutting off the last few weeks. It does it when we are using alot of water and when we just get home and use it. We have to move the lever on the control box with a tap on and it starts up again right away and it will then work fine for a few days and shut off again. Sometimes it will do it a couple of times a day. I am new to wells, etc. so I have no idea what to try to fix it. The well is 110' deep and there is a tank and control box inside the house. I have noticed the water pressure has gone down over the last year, although nobody else in the house seemed to. We have lived here 3 years and never had a problem before. Is there anything I can try before calling a plumber?

Reply to
Greg

Sounds like you pressure tank may be waterlogged. Usually it will have to be replaced.

Reply to
Walt

Sounds like the pressure switch is sticking.

That can be a water logged tank. Or lack of pressure in the bladder. You can check the pressure with a tire gauge. It is probably lower than the specifications.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds like the pressure contacts or start contacts, whatever, depending on the kind of system, are borked. Unless you're sure of what you're doing, ti's probably best to call in an expert. You likely need something changed out.

AFTER the contactors or whatever are fixed and working, mention this to whoever's working on it. Most likely it's going to be self-correcting OR the guy doing the work for you will be resetting it anyway, but mention it to him just in case it's the bladder or something in the tank, etc.. The How Things Work web site might be informative for you at this point.

Reply to
Pop

dont call a plumber call a well service company. the lever you are resetting is there to reset after a low water condition usually found in rock wells or low production wells. if you have to reset it that often there is a problem with the tank,pump or well. it locks the pump out to keep it from burning up in a low water condition. what state are you in? scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2

I don't think it is a water level problem because we can use alot of water right after it has shut off and it does not shut off again. I don't know what a rock well is but we were told they had to put 2 sand things (have no idea the proper term) in when they drilled it. Could sand cause the problems we are having?

Reply to
Greg

I can't see all sides of the tank to get any info on it. How do I find out the specifications for it? And if it is lower than the specifications, does that mean we need a new tank?

Reply to
Greg

Yah, I probably will but thought if it was something simple I could save some money. Doesn't hurt to ask. I was talking to a neighbour and he said the pump and tank are probably 13 years old. How long do these usually last?

Where is this site? I know the pressure was lower because the washer and dishwasher took alot longer to run thru' their cycle but since I am the one who uses these the most, I am the only one who noticed. How do you tell water pressure anyway? Do you put a gallon container under a tap and see how long it takes to fill up? I never really even thought about the pump, tank, etc. until now. Is there regular maintenance needed to be done to prevent the problems I am having?

Reply to
Greg

most well systems are pretty well maintenance free. it could be a simple fix but a number of different things could cause the switch to lock out. pumps have a average life of 15 years tanks very depending on water quality. i have seen them go 2 years and i have seen them last thirty years.low water isn't allways due to water level the pump might have problems keeping up with demand and the switch will lock it out. in maryland we have areas that the well casing only goes in the ground about sixty feet the rest of the well is drilled through a rock and the hole in the rock is used as the casing. water seeps out of the rock filling the hole. the switch you have with the lever on it is a good sign that the well may be a low production well. if it wasn't there should be no lever on the switch. the low production well use the well as a resivoir. a six inch well will hold 1.4 gals. per foot. some well companys will offer free estimates but i know with gas and labor prices theese days most dont. we are the only ones in this area that doo. i would call around in your area and see if any do.but stick with a well service most plumbers dont have the equiptment to pull a pump if nessasary. scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2