Water Shutoffs: Knob vs Lever

Doug, if you hooked up a hose to the shut off valve under the sink, how long will it take to fill the can? This will eliminate the new fixture and start locating the trouble. Could be there's a restriction in the water pipe between your bathroom and kitchen. If perhaps a upstream valve decided to come apart some time ago, a piece could be caught in a downstream elbow or at the shut off valve itself. How easy would it be to replace the shut off valve. Do you have the same flow rate problem with hot water too?

Reply to
Grandpa

The problem is about equal for hot & cold. And, you're right about replacing the shutoff valve. They're what...two bucks? I already own the soldering equipment. I may do that this weekend.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

try turning your pressure up just as a experiment to 80 pounds

Reply to
hallerb

If you're going to replace them, put in the ball valves. They are only there to turn it on or off, so you might as well get the maximum flow. You'll regulate the actual flow at the faucet. I'll just bet you find some blockage upstream of the valves, if not at the valve itself. IME, even the water company doing some repairs can introduce contaminates into the water supply, and its just your "bad luck."

Reply to
Grandpa

Solder a male 1/2" threaded nipple to the end or use a drop ear with a close nipple. Most valves come with 1/2" female threads so you can change in the future without soldering. Don't forget to flush the pipe while the valve is removed. If still slow, try probing with a bit of #14 copper wire

Reply to
PipeDown

And they don't leak like the knob ones do after being turned off and back on when they've been undisturbed for several years

Reply to
Dave Combs

Reply to
Phil Munro

No, quite the opposite actually. Are there service valves under the kitchen sink? I'd look to them to be falling apart inside if they are not the quarter turn kind. The lever "ball" valves you refer to are the absolute best kind to have anywhere in the system.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

More than likely the water lines in the home are to small. The only unpractical solution is to replace all the water lines and fittings to larger sizes. This is the problems in most new homes, more economy, cheaper construction.

Master Ground Water Contractor Porky Cutter

Reply to
Porky

What's the right size pipe, if I lost my mind one day and starting attacking my pipes because I had nothing better to do at the moment?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Don't waste your time! Supply line is the problem. . .too small.

Porky Cutter, MGWC Master Ground Water Consultant snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
Porky

A minimum of 1/2" but personally I like 3/4" lines. Usually the line coming in from the meter is 1" to 1-1/4". Why does the builder install

3/8" (or smaller lines) in the home. Because it's cheaper.

Search Google for "Porky Cutter" for more about Porky!

Porky Cutter, MGWC

Reply to
Porky

But, the pressure's fine in the bathroom. The next stop is the kitchen, which is just 18 feet more pipe, in terms of distance. And, my outside hose faucet has loads of pressure, and the longest pipe run (from the meter). All the same size pipe.

Reply to
Doug Kanter