Water shut-off valve handle replacement?

I need to replace my water shut-off valve handle and am not sure where to look or what to ask for. The standard plumbing supply stores seem to stock only the square receptacle type whereas the one I have has threads that the handle slips onto. My house is 40 years old and there does not appear to be any name or manufacturer printed on the valve. Thanks for your advice.

Here in Tucson there is a store that can help you:
Bonnets Stems & Accessories Inc 2606 N 1st Ave Tucson, AZ 85719 - 2911
(520) 882-8349
Al
Have you tried Ace hardware? One near me stocks both types. Don't waste you time at Home Depot or Lowes.

Ordinary hardware or plumbing stores can almost always help you out, especially if you bring in the old handle.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
I should have clarified that I brought my old broken handle into Home Depot, Lowes and a specialty plumbing shop here in the Seattle area. The plumbing "experts" at Home Depot and Lowes looked at the handle I brought in and said "nope, we don't carry that" while the specialty plumbing shop said that "standard" threaded handles are easy to find while the larger diameter threaded valve handles (which is I guess what I have) are tough to find. It's doubly tough to find when I don't even know the proper name of what I am looking for. Does anyone know what the correct name is for this "threaded" water valve handle so I can call other plumbing shops or look online?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Threaded handle can't be right else it would unscrew when you closed (or opened) the valve.
It dosen't sound like you have a ball valve or the handle would be more of a lever shape. I am guessing you have either a gate or multi turn valve. If it has several levels of nuts on it, it probably is s multi turn valve. If it is, you can remove the whole core and bring it to the store for a replacement with modern parts.
A picture would help us a lot.
Here is a picture of my broken gate valve handle --
http://www.get2it.com/images/valvehandle.jpg
It has 16 splines The diameter of the handle is 3 inches The diameter of the spline hole is 1/2 inch
The closest thing I could find at Ace Hardware is a 16 spline handle but the spline hole is only about 3/8 inch.
Thank you for any suggestions.
PipeDown wrote:

hardware store plumbing supplies are limited at best. Go to a plumbing supply house. if they don't have it they can likely get it.
lee h