Water seeping through mortar in basement

I have poured concrete basement with two rows of cinderblock at the top. During the heavy wind driven rain the water starts to seep through the mortar where cinderblocks connect with concrete. This happens despite the fact that the level of connection is above the ground by about 2 ft (exposed area of the basement wall above ground).

rains are gone for a couple of hours or so indicating it's more wet than the rest of the wall.
How can I waterproof or seal the mortar (or that hairline crack) from the outside so that the water does not seep through it?
What substance can I use? What color is that substance? (The house is grey there.)
Thanks!
you can get concrete grey waterproffing paint, it probably worth a try.
On 4 Sep 2006 07:02:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I thought Thompsons made a product for this case. A concret water repeller?
Not flame bait, I know many here H8 Thompson's products.
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
I always tell people when they have a new problem the is sure there to be a new cause...find this out first then fix the damaged areas. If this is true "cinder block" (made out of cinders very rough almost razor sharp texture) then I would skim coat the entire block surface...all the way around the house outside...because cinder block will just continue to disintegrate making the problem worse. if they are concrete block if the outside was not coated which it sounds like it was not anywhere you have dirt in contact with the soil the joints are going to fail sooner than later. You can make up a "slury" of sand, cemen, and bonding adheasivet and paint this on the blocks or trowel it on (like a thin coat of stucco) to seal the entire area and the color will remain grey like your concrete below. after that I would put the paint on.....