water running off side of roof?

interesting question. I noticed at one spot beside my house that water hitting the ground had made some marks...clearly from dripping off the side of the roof. I figured the eavetrough was leaking out the end, but upon closer inspection, its clear the water is running off the edge of the roof about 24" BEFORE getting to the trough?
does this make sense? I tried replicating water running down the roof with my hose, but to no avail (house is very tall, hose wont' reach). I looked closer, and it seems that the shingles overlap the fascia by about 2 or 3", which seems right. But what little I could replicate seemed to find a little groove or something and run off the side a bit. Could it be that a shingle has dipped or something? I imagine that in big rain, it comes off there a lot, considering the marks on the ground. I also notice that the eavetrough kinda "sweats" in the rain. While standing in my attached garage during a rain, I see it dripping straight off the front of the trough all the way along.....
Are these things I should be worried about? indicative of something wrong, or about to go wrong? I looked around the rest of the house and there are no other signs of water running off the roof where it shouldn't be. I'm always leery of water going where it shouldn't, as it tends to do damage...like to the fascia boards and such just underneath where the leak is. any thoughts?
thanks!
bmoney

You need to get up there and look closely; long-distance guessing will not help much.

right you are sir. but being of a scared-of-heights nature, its going to be someone else who inspects it :-) I just wanted some thoughts on why it might be happening beforehand is all
bmoney

binoculars?
smart a$$ :) I actually thought of that...but to get to the right vantage point (eg, high enough to look "down") I'd be a mile away. you have to see the lay of the land to understand.
meh, the old guy is gonna get up on the ol extension ladder and see what he can see next week. its clearly been this way a long time, but it doesn't make me happy to have water running where it shouldn't be.
bmoney

Roofing amateurs often forget to install this.
BMONEY:
HA> interesting question. I noticed at one spot beside my house that water HA> hitting the ground had made some marks...clearly from dripping off the side HA> of the roof. I figured the eavetrough was leaking out the end, but upon HA> closer inspection, its clear the water is running off the edge of the roof HA> about 24" BEFORE getting to the trough? HA> HA> does this make sense? I tried replicating water running down the roof with HA> my hose, but to no avail (house is very tall, hose wont' reach). I looked Everything reads correct. If you have two roofs meeting at an angle that may explain why the water is where you don't expect it: the pressure of the water from one roof interacts with the pressure of the water from the other roof. Also why you were unable to replicate with a hose.
HA> closer, and it seems that the shingles overlap the fascia by about 2 or 3", HA> which seems right. But what little I could replicate seemed to find a HA> little groove or something and run off the side a bit. Could it be that a HA> shingle has dipped or something? I imagine that in big rain, it comes off HA> there a lot, considering the marks on the ground. I also notice that the HA> eavetrough kinda "sweats" in the rain. While standing in my attached garag HA> during a rain, I see it dripping straight off the front of the trough all HA> the way along..... I would say there is a clog in either the trough or the downspout. Even if you have 'gutter guards' -- they don't work here. Also have a two-story gutter without any trees nearby. Last spring noticed water overflowing: there were _two_ clogs, one about a foot from the downspout and one about 10' in.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* No evil sex at noon; taxes live on. (Palindrome)
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971